Partition HDD and install Windows 8

Stombell

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Can I partition an existing drive (160 GB) so as to install Windows 8 on the new partition? I have a NAS with data files, so I have tons of space on the HDD. If yes, can I launch and use the apps on the x32 portion of the HDD if I boot from the Windows 8 (x64 install)? I am on XP Pro, all components exceed recommended requirements for Windows 8.

Yes; you can partition the hard drive to install Windows 8. I don't know if the Windows 8 installer can partition it for you, but you may have to partition the drive first, then pop in the Windows 8 installation DVD.

Stombell

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Great, thanks. So, from Windows 8 x64, will I be able to launch the untouched x32 apps on the original partition (even though they were installed under XP Pro x32)? Or will I have to reinstall the apps via Windows 8 x64?

popatim

Titan
Almost none of that apps installed on xp will run on win8 due to the fact that win8 will be missing all their config info, drivers and registry entries. You will need to install the apps in win8 if they are available/work under win8.