i7-920 QUESTIONS GAMING BUILD

Crash_06

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I am looking to upgrade my PC, either in part or in full.
I have a modified Gateway FX6800-01e:

Motherboard: Intel X58 Express (original)
Processor: Core i7-920 2.67 gGHz
Ram: 12 GB 1600 mHz G. Skill Ripjaw (running at 1066 haven't played with bios)
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Sapphire 7970 Vapor-x 3 GB GHz edition 1050 mHz
PSU: Rosewill 1000w continuous 4 - 12v Rails

So for my questions.
1) I know that the 1366 socket is pretty much dead, but regardless, I would like to know if it would be worth it to upgrade my mother board as opposed to both cpu and motherboard? I am not sure if my graphics card is bottle-necked by my processor, and if I can save some money (for more peripherals or games) by upgrading just the motherboard that would be nice too lol. I want to game at MAX graphics, setting on a 47 in LED 3D tv with MAX specs.

Considered Motherboards for current CPU:
EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2 LGA 1366
Intel Board
Available boards at Amazon

2) If it's more effective to upgrade would I be better off waiting for Haswell chips, or would I be fine with a current socket? Choices being 1155 and 2011 I do not know which suits my style, as it were.
I love to multi-task i.e. video, gaming, music, etc. I always have several windows open.

3) The configuration I was currently eyeballing, in case of full overhaul, was:
motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 WS LGA 1155
PSU: Rosewill Lightning series 1000w single rail
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128 GB
Ram: G.Skill Trident X series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
The case I have is: COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker SGC-5000W-KWN1
3 fans: 2 x COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120MM up to 2000 rpm
COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm
LEDs are fun!
GPU I have: Sapphire 7970 Vapor-x 3 GB GHz edition 1050 mHz

Would this configuration last very long against newcoming games and software? Are there tweaks you would suggest?

4) Supposing I don't upgrade the processor and just get a new motherboard, with the kit proposed above, would my i7-920 be able to keep pace with the set up?

Any tips/thoughts/comments/words of wisdom/new colloquialisms and the like would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time if you read this, and for your answer as well if you replied.

I just ask that you let me know which question(s) your answering in your replies as I'll be reading them on my phone's email client.

Sorry this post is so long, but I've never used a forum before (post wise) and I'm not up to speed on netiquette (<---- HA).

-Crash

ALSO: I have around $1800 set aside to invest in this system. I also have around 7 TB of HDD space so I'm good on storage.
I have searched these questions before in and out of forums, but the answers I find never seem to fit my situation.

EDIT- my mother board is going out. Onboard sound is failing and my CPU randomly loses power, but not my peripherals. This causes the CPU to go black without error screens. CPU doesn't event register that it happened.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
My honest Opinion would be to just upgrade both the processor and Motherboard and get off 1366 all together. The 920 is still a solid processor it's just that you have no upgrade path with it at all and the improvements made with Sandy/Ivy are quite significant in some areas.

From what it sounds like you want to do I would actually suggest a 3570k. Unless your actually doing some heavy computation and making money with that rig socket 2011 is hardly worth it. Z77 with either 3570k/3770k is the way I would suggest you go if you were to upgrade right now.

What I would do in your case though is wait for Haswell. It's right around the corner a few months away I believe. Unless there is a reason for you to need an immediate upgrade I say wait and grab Haswell. That way you have an upgrade path for a few years as opposed to getting on 1155 and being stuck at a dead end.

I also noticed (unless I'm missing it here I am tired) that you don't have a GPU listed. You're going to want a GFX card if you plan on gaming. For this purpose I suggest either a 7970 Ghz edition (AWESOME CARD) or GTX 670.

I also noticed you plan on getting 32gb of RAM? From what you listed as your needs I see no reason for you to need that much RAM unless you just want it for the heck of it. 8 gb should be more than enough for your needs.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Just to add 1366 Motherboards are expensive unless you get them used and a waste of money. Save your money and get off 1366 all together. you would just be throwing $ away if you were to just get a 1366 board for that 920

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Also if you are planning on streaming or hosting multiple servers have you given thought to the FX 8350? or FX 8320? Both of these chips are very affordable and so are the motherboards and perform very well especially when gaming while streaming.

I didn't get the whole picture of what you are trying to say bt I get the idea you may benefit from extra cores and the FX 83++ does very well in the areas you mentioned. Not to mention AMD is sticking with the same socket for their next CPU iteration.