Is this the worst time to buy for a build?

Obsolete PC

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
First off this is an amazing place for information and inquiries you have no idea how much of a help you guys are so thank you all ,now on to the issue.

I was about to buy the parts for a new build when all these rumors about Haswell and the nvidia 700 series poped out.

so the question is should i wait or buy now? one problem i have is while the haswell release is almost a sure thing in June , the 700 series on the other hand offer nothing but rumors about there release and it might mean i will have to wait another month or two after haswell.

my second problem is will i have to wait some more until there is a bigger variety of motherboards and GPU releases, and how long would you recommend ?

two things to consider one of wich this will not be an upgrade it's a brand new pc. Ever Since my GPU died my PC can't run most games ( my main use for the new PC as well).

i am a Patient man while my GPU died about 3 months ago 3 more months of wait isn't impossible.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The age old question. Yes, the Haswell would be worth the wait since you've been patient this long. If your gfx card died, why not pick up an inexpensive used one on ebay to at least run your games till then? Personally, I wouldn't wait. I build 'em and sell 'em as something new comes to interest me. If you wait for haswell (and its 1150 socket) and the GTX 7xx cards, you'll have the best for... about 6 months.

Obsolete PC

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
yea i was planning on getting something used but my case has a built in 340 watt PSU this used to be an HP pentium 4 pc which i gutted. not to mention an old mobo(can't install any OS past XP), old cpu and old ram( the GPU that died was an ATI 4870), i might have looked for options that don't require changing anything other than the GPU but i caught a break when i got a friends old laptop when he got a new one which will do for a month or two.

for me it's not about having the best but i don't know what will happen to the prices of the current GPUs, MOBOs and CPUs they all might drop which will save me money and if they don't drop at least i will have a wider range of options .

this is all new to me it's like i was unconscious when it comes to PC building, parts and prices and just woke up with to many questions.

thank you for the advice and reply by the way was about to give up on this thread.

wazzuvius

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Another option is to build now and wait for Skylake in 2015, which should offer more substantial performance upgrades ;)

This is the dilemma I faced and I went for it. I didn't want to wait out the availability and selection of components for the marginal increase in performance Haswell gives over Ivy Bridge. It sounds like the biggest benefit for desktop users - efficiency isn't that important since we're always plugged in - is the on board GPU, however, you'll be using a dedicated GPU so it's irrelevant to you.

Obsolete PC

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
yea that's a good way to do it as well, it's out of character though i tend to upgrade when something goes wrong.

i have decided to wait on the new nvidia cards anyways might as well wait and see how it all pans out in the CPU and MOBO markets,
but damn those nvidia jerks no news on the 700 series they should just come out with it already and slash current cards prices by 50% minimum :cheese:.