AMD Cuts APU & FX CPU Prices; Up-to 18.9% Cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Wow, a 965 BE at $81 is a really good deal. The 980 performed really well in Tom's most recent budget gaming CPU roundup, beating every AMD processor except for the 8 core FX's. The 965 BE can easily be overclocked into a 980.
Otherwise, looks like they're lowering the prices to be more comptetive with their FX processors and to clear old APU stocks before Richland releases.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'm thinking it might be a really good time to grab a 6300 at $112 or the 8320 at $153. Neither is as good a deal as the 965 at $81 right now, but with AMD 8 core APU's reportedly powering both the PS4 and 720, games should starting being optimized for more than 4 threads. AMD's 6 and 8 core FX's should really start to shine then.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

Maybe Intel feels that its brand deserves better pricing? Most people would consider Intel for their PCs and that makes them happy. Majority of people who would be building PCs with budget in mind would settle with AMD.

What would lower priced Intel chips achieve? Would people who have AMD setups switch to Intel, meaning more money spent on new hardware platform? Or would this help with sales going up?

Take a look at share prices of Intel and AMD. Rarely mentioned here, the fact is that AMD has been steadily growing over past year. Intel is still keeping share price similar to three years ago. This fact tells me that Intel has barely anything to keep its company alive, apart from all the hype we can read about performance of CPUs. Would lower cost help selling more CPUs? It would certainly be a short term trend and would cause lower return on investment numbers later on. Hence, hold the price as long as possible. Meanwhile, AMD is surprisingly thriving and putting more chips for desktops, mobile platforms/APU and graphic cards (consoles as well, current and future alike).

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I think cmi86's point is that Intel should consider lowering prices across the board. Yes, they may believe they have a very good product and don't want to undercut it, but if as you say they don't have a sustainable model, they need to try something different. There are a tone of people outside of the brand-name wars who are simply looking for value. AMD's success has been in appealing to these people - offering great performance similar or close to Intel but at a lower price point. It makes better sense to take a bit of lighter revenue now if it will benefit the company in the long term. Maybe not deep slashes to prices, but at least trim them to make them more attractive. This applies not just to Intel's CPUs, but the accompanying motherboards too - though I realize that is probably more of an OEM decision than Intel's.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
The 8320 is more and more tempting. Why buy an 8350, when this will oc to the same level? Especially now with the greater price difference.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
This is good news since I plan on building a mid-range AMD gaming machine for my uncle later this year. He doesn't do anything more demanding than play WoW and STO @ 1920x1080, so he doesn't need the higher priced Intel parts. The FX-4300 and FX-6300 are in the right price range for his system. Now to figure out which gfx card and mobo to use.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
kind of retarded that price on the 6300. its in no way bad for consumers, but the overall better cpu is JUST $4 more than the 4300. i dont quite understand this business decision.even if the 4300 wins on some applications, the average and even the well educated consumer will go for the 6300 in most cases, leaving the 4300 on shelves. still, the price on the 4300 is great and the price on the 6300 is amazing.

G

Wow... the next installment of Tom's "Best CPU for the Money" article will be interesting to say the least!

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Damn only 155$ for a 8320 now? Get your sh!t together, Intel! Lucky for me, paying double the price for a 3770k for only a 15% performance increase isn't a problem because I have money to throw away. But I'm lucky, and the majority of others aren't!

Status
Not open for further replies.