Is my CPU broken ? 100% usage and heating.

G

Hello , i´ll be streight on the subject ... i think my CPU is broken i have an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2,4 ghz 1-core on a PC and has some problems , it slows down the Internet browser goin at 100% on any actions (the iexplore.exe process) and when i´m playing games the same thing it goes ok but sometimes (i don´t know if constantly) it´s on 100% usage causing overheating and sometimes touching 90 degrees and shuting down (i fixed this with extra FANs and changing CPU thermal paste) , the thing is that is at 100% on any program that i use for eg. if i´m working on Photoshop the photoshop uses 100% , if i´m renderinga video in the program the prohram uses 100% and that´s annoying because creates LAG (in games for short periods like 2 sec) and overheating in programs . I tried to fix this with this methods and nothing worked : Reinstalling Windows , Scan PC (with Malwarebytes , Norton & other antiviruses and antimalware) , getting latest drivers etc... nothing worked.
PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2,4 ghz (1-core) AM2 socket
GPU: Gainward GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit (the problem was before upgrading to this video card)
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR2 (2 slots)
PSU: 300W
HDD: 160 gb Seagate Barracuda
Motherboard: HP Nance with 24-pin
Internet: 60mb FiberPower
Keyboard&Mouse: PS/2 way ...
Computer case: Compaq Presario (it says on it)
[I searched on many sites/forums and nothing , so i hope you guys can help me please]

G

The same thing i was thinking , thank you for the reply , another thing... could i upgrade this to at least a 2-core CPU ? (like a X2 or something decent) on the web it says that this motherboard supports dual core tehnology but only 64W , only that motherboard is similar to mine but it has 18-pin (mine got´s 24-pin) . Could i upgrade to a higher tire CPU like a X2 with dual-core and the Thermal Design Power between 65 - 125 W ?

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Then only the cpu that I listed should work (I hope that 1W difference won't cause problems as I can't find any 64W ahtlon II). I can't find an 64W Athlon

Athlone X2 245/250e are both 45W so it should work

G

Yes that should work but on CPU World says that the CPU has AM2+ socket , whould that work on my AM2 ? and another thing i cannot find any of the CPU specified on my country´s sites. They are all AM3 or higher than 64W :( , what happens if i mount a Dual-Core X2 (AM2 Socket) with 65W or 125W on my motherboard ? The PC will not start or it will be risky for hardware destruction... ?

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I am not sure if 1Watt makes a difference or if they wrote wrong as I don't find any 64W cpu. 125 may go but the psu may damaged as it will maybe be overloaded. I have no experience in such but I advice you to says within the specs. AM3 has two pins less meaning that AM3 cpu will fit within the AM2 socket however not vice versa due to the two extra pins that AM2 cpu has. Another difference is the DDR difference; AM3 cpu has ddr3 controllers compared to DDR2 controller - so this in another reason why AM2 won't on a AM3 socket cpu. However AM3 cpu are backwards compatible with AM2/2+ socket motherboards.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
AM3 CPU´s working on a AM2 / AM2+ socket :O that´s very good because i can find this way more CPU´s , before i buy some AM3 CPU i´ll test one of my friend to be sure... oh i have a 300W PSU if that cant be sure with 125W CPU could a 500W PSU or more handle without problems that ? :) Thank you for helping

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I don't know if the restrictions is because of weak power supply or if there is bios restriction or both option. If the restriction only lies in the bios then only 65W might be accepted. This is one of the reason why it's always better to buy everything yourself as you will know what restricts you have.

The idea you have is very good. Let us know what happened after you tried it out.