4 screens 2 cards or 1? Gaming Rig Edition

Thumpist

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hi Guys,

I am building a PC for a friend and he has asked for two option I have got the first one [basic work pc] written up no worries but he also asked for a reasonably priced Gaming rig the kicker is he wants 4 screens.

I run 3 screens personally 2 through DVI and the third through the DP. But I ran into a few issues with that when first setting it all up, it was my first multiscreen setup after all.

Tl;DR I am looking for a Decent Graphics card that can support up to 4 screens for gaming, i doubt he will play across all four i think he just wants them for other activities. I just dont know what to look for in the specs of the GC when looking for 4 monitor support.

Appreciate any help you can give me

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Hello buddy,

First things first, does he want to use all 4 screens for gaming at the same time or to game on maybe 1 and use the rest for when doing work or other stuff? I know you said it was a gaming rig but thought I would make sure.

In regards to just getting four screens working I know that a number of AMD cards can do this with a single card. Nvidia however, i may be wrong here, only supports 3 on their 600 series with the exception of the 690 which can do 4+ although you mentioned reasonably priced as well and a 690 is not cheap. I think cards like the Nvidia Quadro can do 4 screens as well as some other niche cards in the green range.

Gaming at these kind of resolutions though would prove very difficult for a top end single GPU and even multiple cards in SLI and Xfire would probably struggle to some extent.

You are better off using two graphic cards. The only graphic cards (excluding Matrox) which can support more than 3 monitors by itself are the Radeon HD 7000 series with the "Eyefinity 6" title which means it can support up to 6 monitors. Here's an example for $360, however, you need to realize that a single Radeon HD 7870 is not really enough to play games even with just 3 1080p monitors.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2617299&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CICq6bzz-LYCFUWo4AodL3cAEA

Not sure about nVidia cards...

Thumpist

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Thanks for the speedy replies, I dont think he will be gaming on multiple screens, the machine is basically being built to monitor stocks and business-esk stuff he just asked for a quote of a decent gaming rig as well.

I did find this one http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=611325&CategoryID=467 which said it can support up to 4 monitors on its website, which I thought may do the job but to be honest not loaded with knowledge when it comes to graphics cards.

Personally I run 3 screens but only ever game on one and run that off the one card and it seems to do the job without a hassle.

Well I assume if it is advertised as being capable of supporting up to 4 monitors then it can. Only a review can truly verify that. EVGA is not known for lying so, it's support for 4 monitors should not be something you should worry about.

Me? I just run two monitors. No need to figure out which cards are capable of supporting 2 monitors.

Thumpist

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Haha 2 monitors would make it much easier, I might try and persuade him to do something like that instead.

Thanks for your help folks

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Have had a look and supposedly you can run 4 screens off a 600 series Nvidia GPU but only as extention to workspace and not for surround gaming on 4 monitors. 3 is maximum for gaming so this should help with the 4 monitor conundrum.

Cheers