Final confirmation of my i7 build

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M6As

I will not be building this sooner than three months from now, so the parts do not matter as much price wise as I will get each as it is lowest.

My budget for my computer is $1200 USD max, but would rather stay below 1k. The HIDs can be in addition to the price.

System Usage: Video Editing, Photoshop, Web Browsing, Mild Gaming

Monitor: yes

It will be an entirely new system, I will not reuse anything.

Preferred Website: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, AMD GPU

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No, a 7770 GPU will by plenty for any near future games.

Your Monitor Resolution: would like to upgrade to a 1080p Widescreen monitor

Additional Comments: I will be doing large image, photo and video editing as well as 3D model design. Also some mild gaming, such as Minecraft or Arma2... maybe Planetside 2 or MechWarrior:Living Legends on low settings.

Why Are You Upgrading: My Dell Latitude D630 is a bit slow :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M6As
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate SV35.5 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 148.7 CFM 200mm
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Total: $956.04

I also need a keyboard, mouse and Monitor. These are what I've found so far that seemed good...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079
I would like a 1080p monitor with a good contrast ratio for photo work.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Haswell is coming out soon, along with the nVidia 7XX series. The hardware landscape will be vastly different then it is now, so it would really be best to wait and ask this question a week before you plan to buy everything.

As far as the build itself, things look fine, I would imagine your build will look very similar, just with a newer CPU and motherboard.

macten

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I disagree that asking now is irrelevant, you can learn a lot between now and then and when you do get ready to ask next time you will be more informed at that time.

That being said, I'm a gamer myself but not familiar enough to comment on graphics cards and their performance.

Here is what I've learned though.

Haswell processors are about to come out, followed next year by the Broadwell followed next year by the Skylake and Skymont. In other words, build the dang thing whenever you get ready to do it because there is always something about to come out.

The difference in the i5 and i7 is negligible when it comes to gaming. You can save yourself some money here and not be able to tell a difference in the performance. Go with a i5 3570k if you wish to overclock, otherwise you could save yourself even a few more bucks by choosing a different i5.

Anything over 8GB of RAM is overkill for gaming and gives little to no increase in performance. You can save yourself some money here as well. Also, be careful with the high profile memory like the G.Skill Ripjaws as they can cause issues because of their height depending on the CPU cooler/mobo.

As the others have said, come back closer to your purchase time for better advise.

Regarding your build.. as a general rule of thumb:

MEM - 16GB is fine and all, but keep the latency down. Those 8GB modules are CL10. No reason not to expect CL9 modules within the same price range. CL8 modules start to get more costly. Also, tall head spreaders aren't needed and might get in the way of your CPU cooler.
2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5v => http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006127%20600006072%20600006157%20600000261&IsNodeId=1&name=1.5V

SSD - I have a Crucial M4 and have ZERO complaints, but there are better options in regards to performance and cost. IMHO Samsung is the best choice. Look at the Pro series if your budget allows, however the non-Pro is still a great drive.
Samsung 840 120GB => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188

CASE FAN - That thing moves a lot of air, but check out the noise level... 27.5 dbA is a bit loud. I tend to stick with under / at 20 dbA if possible.

PSU - Antec, Seasonic, XFX or Corsair. 550w is a good size if you don't plan on adding a second GPU down the road.

the non-pro is pretty low end considering that you can get a plextor m5s 128gb for cheaper and faster.

cas latency doesnt impact performance much just like how you cant tell the difference between 1600mhz and 2133mhz ram on a standard ivy bridge system (APUs are the exception)

They go head-to-head on performance (and price). The only significant nod goes to the Samsung for consuming less power and being a bit thinner (negligible). Nothing wrong with the Plextor and I would buy one, but my preference is toward Samsung. Rebates tend to sway this decision for me more often than not.
Light reading (skip the fluff toward the top) => http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-laptop-ssd-for-most-is-the-samsung-840/

Latency may not make a real world difference, but why not go with "faster" modules for the same cost?

xAdam

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I would not spend that much money and not get the locked version with a stock cooler.. just saying.. around $100 more and you will actually see large benifits since you're editing. and no, dont go for the i5 since you will be editing, theyre good for gaming but no where near as good for rendering ect, i wish people would read the thread instead of seeing gaming and going on a 3570k hype.. its a good system and if you want high profile memory dims then go for something like a 4770k with a corsair h80i or h100i

macten

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I did overlook the video editing/3d rendering part, I apologize.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Ok, most of you are majorly underestimating my knowledge of computers, but I can't blame you as I didn't state that I knew anything.

I am asking now, because once I get a list of parts that meet my budget and performance expectations, I will buy each part as they go on sale.

I am getting 16Gb RAM for my photo and video editing, not for gaming.

I will look into the PSUs and SSDs that you guys have suggested, they seem good.

I will not be overclocking, as by the time I need a faster computer, I will just get an i11 or i13 CPU

The stock cooler will be fine for my system since I am not overclocking, and as for the front Spectre Pro fan, 27dbA is fine for me, I am not trying to nap beside the tower case as I use it.

Thank you guys for the comments.

xAdam

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Overclocking isnt to make your computer faster so that you can make it last longer, its so that it allows you to perform tasks faster, having a faster clock speed allows you to process data faster as the CPU is effectively pushing more data through its self. This will help with rendering and any CPU intensive tasks or calculations. The new generation of haswell processors are coming out this year also, wait for these to come out and see what they compare to the older ones, they will have a lower power consuption and a higher stock clock speed. Even if you decide not to go for one of these you're still better off waiting as the prices of the Ivy bridge processors will drop. Look into samsung for SSDs, very reliable and good software. The GPU you are getting i have noticed has 1GB of GDDR5 RAM, if you plan on doing any large editing or rendering you may wish to buy a version with 2gb or more, as the drawings or items will be process on this RAM while it is being used. Especially if you're doing 3D model design.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
For the first year, I am not planning on having the GPU, because many of the 'games' that I will be doing can run fine on the integrated GPU, but as my computer begins to get outdated and the 7770 drops in price, I will get it to give my system a boost.

I have not looked into the new Haswell CPUs, but I'll do that, thanks for the comment.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Well, this is what I got and it works great!

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/HP6
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($223.99 @ Staples)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($193.58 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1447.46