To Asus RT-AC66U or not to Asus RT-AC66U: that is the question.

ShouldntHave

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Need a new router bad. This looks like the one. Initial reviews were spotty but indications seem to be that the firmware issues have been fixed at this point.

Seriously, is there any real alternative? Why am I posting here instead of buying this right now?!

Is there even anything comparable on the horizon, releasing in the next few months?

(edit: tags)

Eric Ayers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
The ASUS RT-AC66U is probably by far the best router on the market. personally i used it in the basement and got perfect signal on the top floor with an AC throughput on average of about 850 mbps. Now this router does run a little on the warm side which can be remedied by turning down the tx power according to your needs.... I would buy it and if you have a desktop computer with an open pcie x1 slot id seriosuly consider its pcie ac-66u adapter with it or the usb one whichever you prefer. in the next year or so AC will probably sprawl up to about 1.5 gbps but honestly even from an enthusiast point of view this router will do because our internet connections are not even that fast. So to finally answer your question. Go buy it grab an adapter... popcorn and some scotch and enjoy a 1080p stream with no lag hahah