Critical error, black screen and fans running full speed on boot!

sjmay92

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the art of PC building so it's probably something really obvious but I just can seem to work it out.

Recently I did a few upgrades. I got a XFX Radeon 6790 refurb and 2×4gb g.skill cards, installed them and every thing was fine after a few days heavy use. However, last night while playing BioShock Infinite my PC suddenly when to a black screen, the monitor switched off and the graphics card fan started running at full speed. I gave it a rest and came back later to try it again. This time it did it again when I was just in chrome. Now after a night of no use when I turn it on it makes a strange beep, the monitor doesn't wake and after a little while the fans speed up again. I have had no issues with the gfx card for the past week or so but the new RAM I only put in a few days ago.

If anyone can shed any light on what it might be or what needs upgrading it would be treaty appreciated.

sjmay92

Honorable
May 3, 2013

PSU is a 520w Corsair. Model number CMPSU-520HX

Not sure how I'm going to run MEMTEST if I can even boot into BIOS.

sjmay92

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Ok I'll try that when I finish work. Could it been that something new isn't compatible with my current system? PSU not big enough? New Mobo?

sjmay92

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Processors a 3 year old i5. Not sure what the motherboard is, think its some Asus.

sjmay92

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Just swapped the new hardware with the old ones they replaced and had exactly the same problem. Also noticed that when my old gfx card was in, I could hear the fans getting progressively faster.

heshrons

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
simple & easy solution go to the graphic card site & check what your graphic card needs when it is used & also check your motherboard site and compare with the data that you have 'bout the graphic card & motherboard.THIS HEIPS A LOT & TIMELESS CONSUMING.