PC crashing when i use it, please help

WarthogSmith

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Im gonna make this as short as possible. I bought a new graphics card (and my computwr has all the rights specs to run it and keep it cooled) and after a small period of gaming it shuts down, and all the sensors say nothing is overheating. Brought it to a friends house and it worked perfectly for as long as he wanted . Why is it shutting of when i use it, it it the monitor, the power outlet, cables? Please help if you have any idea whats causing it to shut down at my house. Thanks

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You need to add the specs of your PC as well as brand/model of the PSU, it could be the PSU is a cheap brand and is not delivering the proper 12v rail required by your video card.

Some video cards use as much as 270 watts peak power, a cpu can use about 125 watts, and adding everything else, could add up to as much as 450 watts just on the 12v rail.

If you use a power bar (board) you may have other appliances on the same bar as the PC, try a power bar with just your PC connected.

Sometimes the wall outlet is to blame, try a different wall outlet. Occasionally a power surge can burn out (or blacken) the connectors inside the wall outlet reducing the amount of power it allows.

The CPU cooler might not be seated properly not allowing proper heat transfer to the cooler.
Check the temps in the bios PC health.

WarthogSmith

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

WarthogSmith

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Corsair 750W, 8gb RAM, Intel i5 core third generation, radeon 7850 core edition 1gb RAM.
Other than a few fans i dont know anything else.

I took everything off my power par except my router, then plugged my computers power into a socket that before has only had a little hand vaccum charger in it. Then i tried vise versa with the router in the wall and computer power in the power bar and then both of them in the power bar and i tried with a few different sockets too and it kept shutting down :/

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Did you connect the video card power cable? Perhaps reseat it.

It might be your motherboard and not your house that is giving you issues. What is your motherborad brand and model number?

Edit -
Also, how much free space do you have on the OS drive?
Are you usding SSD or Sata hdd?

WarthogSmith

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I know that i have a lot of space On my hdd because i just fairly recently bought the pc not shure about my motherboard because i dont physically have acsess to my pc at the moment and by video card power cable do you mean the 6 pin that plugs directly into it, if so i know that is in correctly because the day before i tried it my friend was running the pc for as long as he wanted and it wasnt crashing somehow

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The only other thing that is prevalent to issues such as your one without any other cause, is the amount of dust inside the PC as well as the PSU. When you get access to the PC check for dust, any amount of dust anywhere is the most lilely culprit.

WarthogSmith

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Il be shure to do that.

Is there a way that my monitor could be doing something? The monitor my friend tried it with and worked was a really new and huge one. My monitor is pretty old like 2007 old.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Is it a square one or rectangular?
The square ones need to be set to ON mode just milli-seconds prior to booting otherwise they go to standby mode. Sometime you need to flick the on/off button on the monitor to get a display output. Green is on, amber or red is standby (usually).

If your monitor is HD type, there shouldn't be a problem with it receiving a signal.

The square ones and the older CRT monitors were required to be set to On mode prior to booting otherise the signal would not be received, especially for the CRT monitors.