Amd & Nvidia GPU same rig same time 2 seperate monitors

sadfacebunny

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Can you run an AMD card and a Nvidia card at the same time?

I have a 560ti and i want to purchase a 7770 or higher and put the card in the same machine. I've heard it can be done but your limited to performance of the weakest card. Is that true? If so what if i did a 7850 ? (roughly same performance) would i have any issues there?

Would i have any driver issues?
What would you recommend? (sli is an option but i am unable to find anyone still selling my version of the 560ti)

joecole1572

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
What are you trying to do with the two cards? You cannot play games using two cards unless you use sli or crossfire. If you have two different cards, the gpu connected to the monitor would be used.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your title. Are you trying to play the same game on to separate monitors? or do you just want two desktop monitors? Gaming on two monitors from two different graphics cards is not possible. Having two desktop monitors for is possible in windows 7 and 8 using two different graphics cards, although you probably can just use your current GPU and hook it up to two monitors.

sadfacebunny

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

I want to run 1 monitor on the radeon and the other on my 560ti

you can do that.

assuming the drivers don't kill eachother... you can do that. It would be more advisable to get another nvidia... like a 650ti Boost, which would cost about the same as a 7770 and be much stronger... that way you don't need to worry about driver conflict, and you could use the 560ti as a physX card.

Kris Shirley

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

i would also like to know this but with AMD cards i currently have an R9 290x and want to put either a 6770 or a 7770 (depending on which will use less wattage) also would a corsair CX750M 750w PSU be enough for this kind of setup?