4 Pin PWM to 3 Pin Adaptor.

scw831

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question for anyone that may have an answer. I have recently purchased some 120 mm Cougar 4 pin PWM case fans rather than the 3 pin version because they were significantly cheaper at the time and I thought I would be able to find an adapter more easily than I have been able too. I am looking for something like this

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=25356

except preferably shorter; I have no need for a longer cord, my fan controller is just for 3 pin rather than 4 and my mobo only has 1 free fan port. I realize I could purchase a splitter for my mobo but would rather not have my fan controller going to waste. Thank you for your help, and just to be clear I am NOT looking for the power adapter to connect a 3 pin fan to 4 pin power.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your link just goes to the home page. But you should be able to connect PWM fans to the 3 wire connectors. They will still be controllable by the fan controller by it varying the voltage. They just won't use Pulse Width Modulation to control the speed.
The pins are:
1) ground
2) +12V
3) tach
4) control

Btw... You really don't want to connect more than one, or at the most, two fans to a single MB header. The MB headers are usually are very limited on current carrying capacity. Usually around 1 amp.

scw831

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Sorry about the link, but the reason I need the adapter is because my fan controller has an enclosed 3 Pin connector which is slightly smaller than the 4 pin connector, so I would have to cut the side of my fan connector to be able to have it fit the fan. I also have no available 3 pin adapters left on my mobo other wards I would also just do that.

I was working on providing a link however none seem to work for me. To see an example though you can enter "4PINPWM-3PIN-C" in the search box on the right of http://www.performance-pcs.com.

scw831

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah I can, and if necessary I will. I was just hoping there might have been something shorter or possibly an adapter that just plugged right in to both ends. Thanks for your advice.