New HDD is not usable yet can see it in Disk Management

sweetiemagic

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I did the whole change my hard drive to Dynamic cause someone said to since it was not working, stupid, stupid me, took me forever to get it back to basic but it's still not working. I got a new WD hard drive to put in my computer for a second one, it shows in disk management, and in bios but not in computer where I can use it, it says online but also says unallocated, I don't know what to do now? I have windows 8 OS and I'm starting to think that's the problem? There is no activate as some have said, when you r-click on it, it says New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, Convert to Dynamic Disk, Convert to MBR Disk, Properties and Help, that's all. Any help would be great, plz, plz, plz, cause I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Thanks!

Sagar Sammy

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
if the disk is unallocated you need to create a partition/volume out of it. but the right click should also show "new simple volume" as this is the thing you have to create.

windows generally works on mbr (leave gpt, uefi alone), so try converting it to mbr > then new simple volume

sweetiemagic

Honorable
May 4, 2013

Okay, this is terrible on my part LOL but I clicked on the open area now and not the Disk 1 and it does show simple volume, :ouch: Blush, so when I click the simple volume it pulls up the wizard and I went through it and it gave it a D and it formatting now :) Thank you SO much, I feel like an idiot heh! Thanks again Sagar, have a great one :)

TRENDING THREADS