Will a USB extension cable affect a device's performance?

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Does the quality of the USB extension cable affect the performance of the device you're using it with?

I'm moving my PC across my room and need extension cables. Will using extension cables have an affect on the performance of my mouse/keyboard? I'm an avid PC gamer and am curious as I need responsive peripherals.

an increase in cable length does affect performance however the real question is if it will affect it enough to be noticible.

as long as "across the room" isn't a huge distance i dont see any major problems. extension cables for usb should be cheap and if they dont work you can always return them (buy one to try it out first before buying the other perhaps)

personally i would just use a good quality RF wireless keyboard and mouse (not bluetooth or ir based). my old mx1000 keyboard had a range of at least 60 feet. i never really tested the mouse range but it was likely decent as well. some bluetooth keyboards and cheap wireless keyboards can have rather short ranges of 6 feet though so watch it.

just some ideas.