cpu fan full speed, no boot, no display & no beeps

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi guys

I recently made a hardware change to my computer which was changing the motherboard, before changing the motherboard i performed a sysprep which removes all the hardware drivers etc.. and prepares windows 7 for new hardware.

system specs:

Motherboard (old: ecs mcp73vt-pm), (new: Asus p5e-v hdmi atx crossfire motherboard)
intel core 2 quad q8300
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intergrated onboard graphics
XFX 550W PSU
WD 640GB Caviar Blue
HAF 922

after installing the cpu, cpu fan & ram to the brand new motherboard the cpu fan runs at full speed for approximately a minute and then slows down, also I do not get any display (have tried hdmi & vga) and no post beeps.

I have tried removing cmos battery, removing jumpers, re-seating RAM, booting with one stick of RAM, made sure 24pin and 4pin cpu power plugged in, I dont understand whats wrong as everything was working before and this was just supposed to be a simple motherboard change and now its driving me nuts!....

replies would be greatly appreciated :)

pb18

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Hi ChrAWESOME thanks for the reply very much appreciated :) , yeah thanks I looked at that checklist online previously and i also re-seated the cpu and applied some fresh silver thermal paste

I have managed to get the PC to boot now, however I previously had 4GB 2x2GB installed and the PC will now only recognize 2GB (both sticks worked fine) and i went to msconfig and it wont let me go past 2048mb (2gb)

xchalasx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

You probably got a DOA. I was going to suggest a CMOS wipe because I usually get issues when I add/remove hardware due to OC settings. Or removing all the hardware and leave the cpu and mobo only and see if it posts to screen crying for missing ram and such.

You seem to have gone through everything I'd do before returning the part.