Reboot in satefy / normal mode catch 22

flash13

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Hi,

I went to "Run" and typed in msconfig to reboot my computer in safe mode. Only problem is now that my computer reboots and refuses to boot in any mode because if I try and select the option normal mode it goes back to my configuration in msconfig which it ends up ignoring.

Any help as how I can get out of this catch 22 situation would be gratefully accepted.

flash13

Honorable
May 4, 2013
The problem is that when the computer first tried to reboot in safe mode, it refused to reboot in safe mood so came back to the initial option screen which you can get to by pressing F9. If I choose Safe mode again, 20 seconds later I am back in the same place.
So I'm actually no longer able to get back into windows so that I can access msconfig and un-tick the reboot in safe mode option.
Is there a way to access safe mode options via a cmd before logging in ?

It's going into Safe Mode voluntarily because it knows something is wrong. Tap Function 8 several times as you power up the system then from the Advanced Bootmenu, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That will stall the system when it fails and produce a Stop Error message on a blue screen. Note the alpha-numeric 0x0000?? and ANY_WORDS_JOINED_UP by underscores and post them back here.

flash13

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Ok, I've done what you asked and the blue screen has appeared with the following information.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Che your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79B9524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hope all that means something to you.

A 7b error is normally hard disk related when Microsoft's software cannot mount the disk. When it happens here, I use a Linux operating system running as a Live CD to gain access or use the Windows OS CD or DVD to get to a Command Prompt and run Checkdisk. Do you have an XP CD?

When you tapped F8 at startup, did you see "Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so, get to taht prompt and type
chkdsk c: /r
then press Enter. A five stage process will run over a length of time, depending on the disk size, and try to find and fix bad sectors.

flash13

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Thanks very much you have given me some valuable leads to work on.

I don't actually have an XP or Windows CD but I do know someone that will probably have a Linux operating system running as a Live CD.

In the meantime I will try again for the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" because until now it hasn't been working.

Once again thanks very much..