Replacing power supply advice needed

Aasher

Honorable
May 4, 2013
About 10 months ago I paid somebody to build me a computer. Was going to build it myself but with all the parts I wanted it turned out cheaper to get him to build it than if I had of purchased all of the parts myself.

One of the components I wasn't too sure with and just went with what was suggested was the PSU. Ended up with a generic, no name, literally no brand name, 760W power supply. To which you probably could of already guessed but the power supply didn't want to supply power anymore.

I'm getting it replaced by warranty but I'm pretty sure it's going to be another very low quality PSU. So I've been spending the last two days researching into different PSU's.

During this 2 days of reading, I've come across a question I can't seem to answer for myself. Being, "Do I really need a 760W power supply unit?" ...

Using eXtreme PSU Calculator I came up with a recommendation that my system needs to use 597 Watts. By using the following inputs:

1 CPU, i7-3770
4 sticks of DDR3 RAM
1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti
3 High RPM SATA HDD (2 internal 1 external)
1 DVD RW Drive
PCI NIC
8 USB Devices (Never used more than 5 at once but counting for max possible)
3 Cold Cathodes (actually 1 but with a ridiculous amount of LED's)
4 120mm LED Fans (I live in Rural Australia)
Capacitor Aging 30% (as it'll spend long stretches powered on and intend keeping it for a few years.)

With these parameters put into the calculator it says 597 Watts at 90% system load or 657 Watts at 100% system load. Though I highly doubt all my hardware will be drawing 100% of what they can all at the same time.

My questions now being.

1) Is this calculator correct in that being what my system needs?
2) Do I need or will I greatly benefit from a 760W PSU?
3) If either above answer is NO, then how low Watt a PSU should I be able to safely use?

4) -- more food for thought than an important to answer question -- Was the no name, cheap, 760W PSU that the builder sold me really much over-rated and really closer to 600W? Did he not want to put in the next lowest he had, 600W, because it was almost guaranteed to blow due to also being over-rated?

Any answers, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Asher

you dont need more than a 550w uni. psu calculators are useless. they are just about never correct.

if you want a 750w to do SLI later on (dont bother, a single gtx 650ti is probably just as fast), it doesnt really hurt to go for it

Aasher

Honorable
May 4, 2013

Thanks. However if PSI Calculators are useless then how do you come to the conclusion of 550W? I mean, say later down the track I want to buy/build another computer or upgrade/add parts to this computer, how do I know what PSU I need based off the parts I am getting?

Unless I missed something, each component of my computer didn't come with a recommendation like "This part will require 50 watts usage". The closest I can get is looking up wattage usage of graphics cards online but even then, they seem to vary depending on the source of information.

basically it goes like this.

single CPU system= 350w-400w is enough
single CPU + lower end GPU (up to 1 6pin plug) = 450w
single CPU + high end GPU or older mid range to high end GPU = 550w
single CPU + dual GPU video card = 650w
single CPU + mid range to high end 2way SLI/CF system (each video card with a tdp less than 250w) = 750w
single CPU + high end video card 2 way SLI/CF (ex gtx titan, gtx 690, and 7970) = 850w.

it continues on but generally 850w is the highest most people get. the rest of the components such as fans, nic cards, sound cards, hard drives and other stuff generally dont draw enough power to consider them a major factor in choosing a psu. but if you have say 10 hard drives, then you may want to consider a psu one level higher