Newegg sent me a broken cpu, and they won't let me return it.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I'm at a loss right now.. I ordered a new cpu from Newegg a couple of days ago, and received yesterday. When I tried to install the cpu, I got 3 beeps and no display. I took the cpu out, investigated, and found out there was a pin missing. I am extremely careful when handling the cpu, and I did not mishandle it in any way. So after I discover this, you can imagine how infuriated I become, so I call Newegg and politely ask for an exchange for a new one. They told me broken pins weren't covered... Now I don't know what to do... It took me forever to get the money to buy the new cpu, and all that money was wasted on a broken product. What can I do from here? Is it possible to take it to a computer shop and hope and pray that can fix it? Do I contact AMD? (the cpu is an AMD cpu). What would be the best course of action at this point?

I am pretty sure that can't be fixed. I mean I guess someone could try, but you would probably damage a lot more before you got the pin back on. You should probably call Newegg again, if they say they won't fix it ask for a supervisor. If that doesn't do it, ask for that supervisors supervisor. Stay on the phone until they say something, don't let them call you back later or anything. I have had a lot of issues with them before, but they have been really good to. Its kinda worked out to being a neutral feeling at this point. Anyways, if you go through all that and still no lucky, then call AMD. The item should still have a warranty from them. AMD should fix it, but really Newegg should, so I don't think you should give up on them unless they specifically say you must contact the manufacture.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Thanks for the help, they did say I should contact the manufacturer. Does this mean I should give up? :(

No, that means you should rely on the warranty you have with AMD. I've contact manufactures before, usually they are easy to work with unless the company is really bad. Just give AMD a call, tell them about your issue, they will probably have you mail off the CPU, and send you a new one in replacement.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Alright, I will contact AMD on Monday, they aren't taking calls on Saturday. Thank you for the help.

qakers

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Newegg's return policy says they should send you a replacement if you received the invoice less than 30 days ago. When you told them a pin was broken did they think you broke it?

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

They basically told me: "We do not return products that have been broken by the consumer."
By the way, I got the cpu to work, the problem was my RAM was being weird, so I switched the RAM to different sockets and it started up fine. I'm playing all of my games just fine, but I run kind of hot on just Battlefield 3, which I already expected considering Battlefield 3 is kind of cpu demanding. My system has been running fine since I last put the new cpu back in.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

CPU is in my system and working. I turned my computer on with my old cpu and noticed three beeps, that's when I realized it wasn't the new cpu that wouldn't start, it was my RAM being odd. I feel the CPU could run a bit faster, so I think the pin that got broke has something to do with performance (or maybe I am just expecting too much from the CPU).. I'm running 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, and AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 GPU, with an AMD A8-3870K APU/CPU. I get about 30 fps or so in Battlefield 3 on high settings at 1440 x 900, and no AA. Let me know if my fps seems reasonable with my specs, because I don't know per say.

rvieaujr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
all cpu's come with a manurfacturer's warranty of 2-3yrs and i'd contact amd and explain your situation and im almost positive they will RMA it for u.

rvieaujr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Yes and u can't really sauter a pin back on a cpu like u could on a mobo contact AMD asap and RMA it. missing a pin can cause voltage spikes, lack of performance ending in result of cpu or pc failure long term and cause a lot more problems then u could imagine.

Hmmm....

It's a shame that Newegg is placing the burden on the OP to have him deal with AMD for a warranty replacement. I guess they are literally trying to pass the buck to save money on processing an RMA.

Too bad. It seems Newegg is no longer the same company it has been since I took a chance on them way back in 2001 when they first opened for business and they have been my primary source of components ever since then.

I have no doubt AMD will honor it's warranty, but unfortunately it does cost $ to ship the damaged CPU to them and it does delay the build.

rvieaujr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
i got 4 DOA from newegg a bout 6 moths ago 4 asus M5A99FX evo's in a row and since i haven't bough a thing from them. i would rather pay the extra 5-10 buck and order from amazon and it came with latest bios and guarantees quality product, built 3 pc's using them and i've only had to RMA 1 item a gigabyte UD3 other than that there about the same price, they ship quicker than them and they update bios and drivers and test it before sending. alot better, newegg has went down the tubes the last 2-3yrs

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate all the help from everyone. Just to let you all know, I am contacting AMD soon so I can see what they say. By the way, if you know a good place to shop for hardware online, please please please let me know. After this stunt from Newegg, I surely won't be purchasing anything else from them.

Newegg, though they are really getting bad for customer service, are still my number one choice. My reasoning is just because their prices are usually the lowest, and well I have a special thing going with them. Thats another story though. Oh and their website is setup well for comparing items.

I do look at others though. After Newegg.com, Tigerdirect and Amazon are probably the best. Amazon has the widest variaty, but looking through it all because it will pull up so much crap you aren't looking for makes it extremely difficult and time consuming. They work well if you know what you are looking for and can type it exactly in the search. Just typing AMD Radeon HD 7850 for example will do it, because it will probably give you anything having to do with AMD, Radeon, the number 7850, and a host of other stuff which doesn't make sense even if you switch to organize it from lowest to highest price. Going by catagory is okay though.

Tiger Direct is much easier to navigate than amazon, but they seem to be a little more expensive on some items, and they don't seem to carry as wide a variety of items.

Besides these techbargains can be helpful, it just lists tech parts being sold for cheap anywhere, and geeks.com is alright, though a lot of their stuff seems to be older or refurbished. Still has a bargain deal sometimes.

I don't know any others that are good really, but if you are near a microcenter from what I have heard they sound awesome! Unfortunately they are forever far away from me.

Christopher Belk

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Update: AMD approved the warranty return, so I will be sending it in soon. I'm starting to really like AMD. Well thanks again everyone! I'm new to the community here, and I have to say I am impressed with these forums. I appreciate all the help. :D

rvieaujr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
no prob any further issues u have just ask any between all of us we can get your solution. glad to see u didnt throw money down the drain. AMD is alot easier to actually taslk to a human being and RMA something. Took me 7 weeks of calling 4-5 times per day to actually be able to return my 3570k. That exact day once i RMA'd it i decided right then and there i will not deal with this bs bc u sent me junk, not like it was my fault and i switched over to 8350. BTW AMAZING CPU!!! WOULD REFER TO ANYONE... sry had to add that. just installed it about 20 mins ago and compared to my 840T its just freaking amazing piledriver with plenty of power in it. Bravo AMD bravo!

Feb 24, 2006

Hello Mr. Belk,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I see your update about AMD accepting the return; we are glad for this. If you have further issues, please send us an email to wecare@newegg.com, including your sales order number and a brief description of the issue and we will be glad to look into this for you.