Need help on connecting case fans to PC?

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello, I have been having lot's of trouble with my case fans. I have no idea where to put them, the PSU cables has nothing for the case fans to go into and the motherboards 4 pin SYS_FAN are 4 pins and I have 2 Pin (with a hole) fan cables.
Where on earth do I put them?

I do have a molex fan controller that I can hook up if that makes any difference.

Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Case fans either have a Molex connector on them if they are simple 2 wire fans, or they have a MB connector; either 3 pin or 4 pin, if they have speed feedback. If you have the latter, plug them into the 4 pin headers on the MB. If you have the former, plug them in to the Molex connector from your PSU.

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well, aparently the molex that goes to the fan controller powers all the fans. The fan controller powers the fans. I think the random fan things are for more fans. So, I just plug in the molex and I'm done I think.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK. Now I see what you are referring to. The controller's Molex connects to the PSU's Molex for power. The smaller connectors from the controller plug into your fans. That way the controller will allow you to manually set the speed you like.

RageSaul

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Yeah, so the male (I think) fan connectors can be used if I get more fans, I just plug them into the female fan and the male one goes to the fan controller where it gets power from the molex.

Continuing with build tomorrow :D

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Right. Just think of it as the Molex feeds +12V to the controller. The controller then varies that voltage to the smaller connectors to vary the speed of the fans that are connected.