Phenom 2 x4 980 Dumping to 800mhz and core temp says 255c????? Help!

jschreiber

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Ok, so recently I was in the ATI catalyst control center and saw the CPU Overdrive tab. I clicked on it and in it is an auto tune function where it says its tests your cpu to see where you can OC it to. Well I tried it and after a few minutes left the room. Hour later, I came back and the PC was dead. No power on, and wouldnt boot. If I unplugged it, it would blip for a sec after I plugged it back in but thats it. So I replaced the PSU with something beefy,went from 600w to a 850w, and bam it powered back up, no problems.

But now as I try to play anything on this rig, the core temp alarms go off and I see that my 3.7 mhz has dropped to 800 mhz and core temp says my temp is 255c on all 4 cores.
I can reset the computer and it restores the right clocks but running Prime95, or playing any demanding game whatsoever makes the system freak out and drop again. I have changed the bios, reinstalled and updated CCC, tried using AMD overdrive to manually cgange the core speed to normal but nadda.
What left to try here? The mobo is only a year old
And its in high performance and no C1E running. I have tried to reserch this but havent come up with much. Did auto tune wreck my system somehow?

I think the power supply likely fried the board &/or CPU when it failed. Sorry I have no idea how to test which without replacing one but I think the board is most likely, this is common when PSUs fail thats why everyone aleways says buy a quality one. Also automatic overclocking tools are not recommended you should set everything in the bios.

jschreiber

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I agree. More than likely the mobo is bad. The cpu seems fine until the the mobo thinks the temps are 255c and then its drops to 800mhz so who knows.
The damn PSU was a corsair and I never have had an issue with those before. Guess the auto tune jacked the voltage.
I have a Thermaltake 850 now so that should be fine. At least the computer works great under normal operations. Like right now. It only throws alarms running Prime 95 or intensive games. Just wish there was a way to know if its the cpu or mobo

20130504_201249_zps80e4c1ba.jpg
[/URL][/img]

jschreiber

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Not that I see. I haven't changed anything in the BIOSbefore all this happened and I never had a problem then