Budget Conscious CAD System

knull

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Most Bang and longevity for the Buck:

Approximate Purchase Date: with in the month of May worst case June 2013

Budget Range: $1000-$2000.00 Before Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD, some solidworks, software development(custom codding), everyday use for work(emails, document creation, etc.), some gaming but not the important reason for this build. I'll build a new Gaming Rig later for home use, I'm sure I'll ask about that later but Work is my focus now. If I play a game on this system it would mainly be to blow off some steam or escape work for a bit.

Are you buying a monitor: No unless there is a great deal and I have money left over.

Parts to Buy:All of them with this note: Video Card(I would like to use AMD Firepro, maybe the W5000 or W7000 (since they are giving half MSRP back until sept 2013) but if these cards are not good for what I'm using it for I'm open to something else AMD. I need the fine lines my old Vid Card just can't do it, but it was a gaming card originally.

Do you need to buy OS: No I know I want Win 7 pro 64bit which I bought already but decided to wait to install until new build.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, amazon.com or anywhere I can buy online (no major electronics part stores in my area), but at the end of may I will be getting close to a FRY's Electronic Store if there is just something I should wait to get a good deal on there.

Location: Birmingham, Al USA. (I just moved here so if there is a major electronic part store that I should visit please let me know.)

Parts Preferences:

AMD Firepro, maybe the W5000 or W7000 (since they are giving half MSRP back until sept 2013) but if these cards are not good for what I'm using it for I'm open to something else AMD. Nvidia is nice but the Quadro cards are just out of my budget.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe I'd be willing to another card later when the system is getting older.

CPU:
as many cores for a budget conscious pc other than that I'm an open book my main concern is lasting a while I do not want to upgrade yearly but would like this machine to last a few years before the next build. I've toyed with the idea of getting a dual CPU MB so that later I could add the same CPU when it gets older and cost less but improves the machine.

Motherboard: A Quality Brand that will last, and if you point me in the direction of dual CPU's then please let me know which one you would buy.
RAID I would like

Ram: Good Quality would rather pay now than suffer later. 8(+)GB with room to upgrade later

Hardrive: SSD for software and OS, then fast enough larger HDD(x2) for storage and Raid backup

Power Supply: Stable and module large enough for upgrades

Case: No thrills as it will be only seen by me, but stable.

Overclocking: Maybe but more wanting stable out of the box everyday use, then maybe OC it later when it gets older.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050 or 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 I'll have 2 monitors

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. I'm not scared of Water Cooling if the system is stable and easy to maintain, but not stuck on super quiet just good fans if Water cool is a pain.

I'm open to suggestions imagine you are building for yourself and you do CAD but have a budget, you are not broke but don't want to go broke on this build, and this machine is your work life line.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I recently acquired a job where I will be using my new CAD Skills along with my years of product development testing experience to develop new products for a company that I'm the only engineer instead of being part of a team of engineers, but plan to grow my on team in the future. The company I worked for in the past supplied the Tech support and PCs now it's up to me to get what I want but be Budget Conscious as I also need some test equipment for my lab setup.
I do have the skills to build a PC, I use to build all my home gaming and media systems, and I have even build a sudo server for home use, so I'm not lost in that department just lost on what hardware to purchase as things have changed so much since my gaming days and this is now for work not play...

Folks All help is appreciated in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.17 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($224.33 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($124.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On ihes112-04 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: FirePro W5000 ($440.00)
Total: $1791.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-05 12:16 EDT-0400)

knull

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Well found out that I'm going to be near a microcenter in the Atlanta Area at the end of the month, I only thought there was a fry's but looks like there are 2 microcenters in the area too, so I'm going to take the list and get it going they have the processor 100.00 cheaper in store !!

Thanks and also I do have another question why does everyone shy away from the new AMD processors(more cores less money)? Is the Intel just that much better and compatible?