maxpower054

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I currently have the following amd setup:

Athlon x3 455 @ 3.8ghz (stocvoltage)
4GB DDR3
760gm p-23 AM3+ 95W MAx
7770 GHZ edition

My athlon x3 can be unlocked to a x4 as i have tested on another mobo. Should i buy an Asus AM3 motherboard for $75, it supports 140W cpu. But its a dead end as the best cpu it supports is 980 BE and 1100T phenoms.
I don't want to bother with FX trash. The athlon could be unlocked and overclocked to 3.5GHZ.

The thing i need is good clock for clock speed, as i play my ps2 games on pcsx2 which needs a lot of processing power. I've had a phenom x4 955 before and evn that struggled to play pcsx2. The specific game i'm talking about is Gran turismo 3 & 4 ( would probably require a intel running at 4GHZ+ .)

If i were to dump it i would get a Ivy bridge Intel G2020 2.9GHZ, this is just a placeholder intel i get a I5 2500k. I really don't need Amd's weak multiple cores.

Would this be a good upgrade route. I really want to avoid amd, Zembezi, vishera have all been flops clock for clock. I don't really need more than 2 cores i just need strong cores.

Will a G2020 @ 2.9GHZ be equivalent to E8400 @ 4.1GHZ? Seeing that Ivy bridge would be 38% faster than old E8400 architecture?

Please help, I really do want to make the jump the intel, even though it will be a downgrade in a way, i'm just tired of AMDs BS. I'm okay with having a dual Core for a couple of months till i get an I5 2500k.

option 1: Get a better mobo, unlock and overclock= Athlon X4 @ 3.5GHZ (stock voltage)

Option 2: Get a G2020 ivybridge @ 2.9ghz as a placeholder untill i get an i5 2500k.

All input appreciated, thankyou

webduelist

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Um, Well, really there is no wrong option, as the CPU you are currently using is much slower than anything currently on the Market.
I am curious on a couple of the things you stated tho, such as the FX series being a complete flop?
As well interested in why you are thinking of moving to a 2500k which will be 2 gens behind when Haswell is released.

If you can fill me in on some of your more long term plans I may be able to help further.

As a recommendation right now if your system is performing to your expectations I wouldn't bother upgrading to a new motherboard, unless you get a AM3+ and plan to get a FX CPU, you will only end up buying 2 motherboards if and when you do make the switch to Intel.

Like I said if you can give me your long term plan I can help further.

This site may help break it down a little more, http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8350-Black-Edition-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X3-445 , don't really look at the value thing because the older cpus are cheaper than new ones and its not really a performance factor. You can compare most cpus by clicking change.

8350rocks

Distinguished
The problem with the phenom you had, was not enough raw horsepower. What you were not able to run well on it were heavily threaded and graphic intensive games.

The FX8350 excels in that arena, even better than the 1100T in most respects. Plus, you can OC the FX8350 to 5+ GHz with a good cooling setup.

I am confused about your statements where Vishera was a flop? It's done very well, especially with heavily threaded applications/games. It lags some in single core performance, but if you're not running iTunes constantly and nothing else, you won't really notice too much difference there.