looking to network

Since this printer doesn't come w/ integrated wired or wireless networking support, you either have to install it on a Windows machine and share it there, or else purchase a USB print server (i.e., standalone device specifically designed for this purpose). Some routers come w/ one or more USB ports, typically for supporting USB external storage devices, although some will support printers as well. Then there's always the DIY solution; find a dd-wrt/tomato (third party firmware) compatible router w/ USB ports and make your own print server.

It's not clear what you mean by "work on my Macbook". Do you mean install the printer on your Macbook and share it, or install it elsewhere and have it accessible from your Macbook?

chinulal

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I did not find drivers for the Mac and I was wondering if I could somehow network and print. You say, install it elsewhere and have it accessible from the Macbook. Is this possible? It is extremely frustrating that I cannot find drivers for the Mac

When it comes to printers, dealing w/ the drivers can get tricky. In most cases, if the printer doesn’t support drivers on your client platform (e.g., Mac), it doesn’t matter if the printer is shared as a networked device, you still need to download and install the drivers locally. And that’s particularly problematic for printers that I would classify as “WinPrinters”. These rely heavily on the underlying OS for feature support. That’s why it may not be possible for the manufacturer to provide drivers for other platforms; the printer is essentially OS-dependent.

In some cases, drivers may have been developed independently, and thus *may* be available on a given platform, despite the fact the manufacturer doesn’t officially support it. Under Linux, the CUPS printing subsystem is a good example. But not being a Mac user, I don’t know if the same can be said of that platform (I tend to doubt it).

So as far your initial inquiry, yes, you can usually convert a USB-only printer to network print (wired and/or wireless) using some form of print server. But you still need the drivers for your various client platforms, either from the manufacturer or third-parties.

chinulal

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Thank you for your patient response. I gather that the bottom line as far as Mac is concerned is that the Cannon is of no use to me!