Why does my laptop take an age to turn on?

DavidHurn

Honorable
May 6, 2013
It literally takes about 5 minutes to turn on, whereas my brother's who has exactly the same laptop runs in just seconds.

I've had the laptop coming up to nearly 2 years- it's a dell inspiron N5040

I have a 500gb hard drive with 30gb free...
I run ccleaner daily and still have issues...
I have run disk cleanup numerous times...
I run avast anti-virus daily...
I additionally run Malwarebytes (Anti-Malware)...
I have also been known to run spybot search and destroy...
Video play back lags and often stutters now and then throughout...
Mozilla Firefox constantly gives the message 'not responding'...
The fan can be heard running quite noisily like it is really working hard (even with light usage)- again my brothers runs very quietly and efficiently...
I have had the blue screen of death appear twice in the last couple of months, but then it seems to switch on ok and my files etc are still present...
Overall the laptop is just very slow and laggy, taking an age to complete even minor tasks of opening a picture...

Can anyone help at all? I can provide more details if needs be.

Thanks
David

Nuclear101

Honorable
You may want to back off on all of those things eg. anti-virus, malwarebytes, and spybot because they will take up a lot of RAM when it starts up alongside windows, slowing the boot down. Also, how much free space to you have on your C: drive? If there is less than ten, like mine, I found out it will slow windows boot a lot.

DavidHurn

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I still had issues with it being really slow before I installed a lot of these programmes. I thought maybe one of the programmes mentioned might just speed things up again, but maybe it's slowed it down further as you suggest.