Need to know if I'm making the right choices for parts.

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I have a good list of parts here that I plan to purchase to build my own pc. Posting my plan here to get some opinion. Any ideas of change for better quality? Anything unnecessary?
CLICK]http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zerukin/saved/1yKN]CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.[/url]
Also, I did not actually buy the processor, case, or the os yet. I just have those prices set because I found them cheaper than what the site was providing, and I had some coupons to deduct the price for some of the parts. Also, don't bother telling me not to get Windows 8. I already got multiple different opinions on it from other people who have used it before (including my sister), and the opinions were mixed between some loving it and some hating it and others simply going "ehh. it's okay." I'm going to get it myself to gain my own opinion of it.

AustinS

Honorable
May 4, 2013
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127728&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=f) If you are building this for gaming, which I assume you are, I strongly recommend going with a gtx 650 ti boost as the 650 is a very weak card. I found one for almost the same price as the 650 you chose. It has a $25 mail in rebate and 6% off with a promo code that ends on the ninth. I highly recommend it as it is about one and a half tiers above the gtx 650. Also, great find on the cpu, but if you can throw down $30 more you can get a Much faster cpu in the 3570 or 3570k (unlocked version). The difference between the 3470 and 3570 is that the clock speed is higher, essentially meaning more performance.

If you have any questions or inquiries, feel free to pm or reply and I will be happy to answer you to the best of my abilities.

Austin

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013

Thanks for the bits of advice. The pointer towards the 650 ti boost definitely helps. I'm aware that 3570 is most definitely better than 3470, but I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible for now. I'm getting most of these parts just to start out, while looking towards possible upgrades in the future. The is also one of the reasons for the lack of an optical drive. Also, I've changed my ram due to the other losing it's price tag. Is the replacement memory just as good if not better?

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
You'll need to add a CPU cooledr to your list. Consider the Coolermaster EVO 212 or the Noctua NH-D14.

Also there is an excellent review of CPUs just posted today in Tom's Hardware: the link is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html

You can see in these reviews that the 3570K dominates the field and it only costs $20 - $40 more. I would strongly recommend along with the previous poster that you upgrade to the 3570K. I know that you are "just starting out," however, the 3570K is by far your best long-range choice. It overclocks well and if you need more power later, you won't have to spend a dime to get it.

An optical drive costs less than $20 and I definitely would include one in your build. They are very useful.

You could save some money (and get the 3570K) if you went to the Corsair 300R case. The NZXT is a very good case also, I applaud your choice.

Good luck with your build.

AustinS

Honorable
May 4, 2013
Yes, zerukin, the new memory you chose is a very good choice. G-Skill is a very reliable memory manufacturer, and also I have heard that they are quite good with rma rates too (means the amount of memory sent back because it was bad). And if at all possible, work two shifts more, and get the 3570k. You will not regret it.

Austin

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013

I plan to get an optical drive for the beauty at some point.... I suppose I could probably transfer the one from my current desktop to this one that I'm planning. That would save me some bucks if it's compatable.

Well, It seems I'm getting the 3570k since everybody (including my grandparents) told me to get it. While I would normally take advice from my grandmother for technology, my grandfather used to work for a software company, and he knows how computers work (he may be one of the reasons I'm so into technology). I've also started looking on ebay to see if I could find any great parts being sold at low price (only looking at new). Advice has been helpful so far. This will definitely help me save some money while getting an amazing PC. If there's any other considerations, that will be awesome. I'll be listening. (technically I'll be reading since you can't listen to words typed out, but I'm sure a lot of you guys know what I mean)

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013

I've looked at the coolers you considered, and the Noctua one was quite a ways out of my price range. The Coolermaster EVO is a good one though.

As for this case, it does look nice, but it's a mid tower. Thanks for the advice though.

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Well, I purchased all of the parts that I finalized, and despite all of my attempts to keep it under 900, I still ended up getting a custom0 PC that's over 1000. At least I got some awesome guys to help. Plus, I'll finally be able to get the PC that I've been wanting for a long time. Those whom I should be thanking for advice are ingtar33, bignastyid, bigcyco1, AustinS, and flong777. One thing I am amazed is that nobody told me not to get Windows 8. I guess that shows that you guys are both helpful and mature. Thanks guys. I'll put pictures up of the thing when it's built.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

No one really knows how bad or good Windows 8 is because its performance varies between computers. Some people have no problems with it and some people hate it so much that they uninstall it and reinstall Windows 7. I have friends that just hate W8 and so I have not upgraded my computer yet.

zerukin

Honorable
May 5, 2013

It does seem to be a bit of a mixed opinion.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Get the Noctua NH-D14 if you are going to overclock, otherwise the 212 is sufficient. I own the NH-D14 and it is a beast, it will cool anything you throw at it.

Just one note on the 300R, it is a very large mid-tower and for your build it provides more than enough room. However the NXZT is a very good case also. If you like the NXZT get that case because looks matter a lot - you need to be happy with how your computer looks.

TRENDING THREADS