Question about my Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 monitor

Paganister

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Hi all,

I received my Asus PB278Q monitor the other day. Lovely and really liking the extra resolution. However, I have noticed a slightly inconsistency with the display.

When I look at a light grey to white background, I notice the display slightly shifts to a yellowy tint. It's slightly more prominent in the top left corner, but the whole upper half of the screen has it. Changing the gain/offset or changing the brightness or contrast doesn't seem to make a difference unless you turn it to the extreme highs and lows of each settings.

It's hard to take a photo of it but I will try if people ask.

My main question is is this a common issue with IPS/PLS displays? And is there a way to even reduce this slightly? I have no dead pixels and backlight bleed is a little below average from what I have seen on the internet (just slightly yellow bleed in top right corner), so I don't want to have to replace this unnecessarily to receive a worse unit!

Thanks

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

I noticed the same with mine. It is what they call "light bleed". You can do an easy test here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexJRnud32U

I took my screen back to the supplier and they gave me a new one, tested again and no issues.

Paganister

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Thanks. I will have a look properly when I get home.

My main question now is what is the chances of getting a better display? I don't want to end up with a worse one and go through all the hassle again.

I'll try and take a photo later today.

Paganister

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Sorry for the double/triple posting, but I have a photo of the backlight now. I can see now why it seems darker in the top left corner. Is this bad for this display or acceptable?

imag0084gl.jpg

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Yep. Mine was in the bottom right corner.

Paganister

Honorable
May 7, 2013
I've managed to take a photo of it properly. Again, I know it's probably due to backlight bleed, but just wanted to make sure whether this is something to expect or not of a monitor of this model/price... This is on a white background of Facebook. To me I can clearly see the shift to a cloudier colour. You can see it slightly on the bottom but you don't notice it very much in person and doesn't bother me. However, that huge sort of "smudge" in the top corner is noticeable... :(

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

IPS panels tend to have this limitation especially edge LED let, the ASUS PB Series PB278Q has a high contrast ratio and a very high brightness, looking at your picture I have the same thing maybe slightly different at 90% bightness, but who would game on a high brightness like that and not going blind after 5 min, for long seasons gaming I turn brightness to 27% which is quite bright and on normal pc use I turn it to complete 0, it is an IPS technology limitation, looking at my elitebook TN panel it has 0 bleed but it looks like crap and and even as close in terms of brightness, so yeah even if you returned it and got a new one you will always have light bleed even a little bit, so whats the point.
I am personally waiting for 1440p -1600p if not 4k plasma PC displays to be produced, since they have non of those problems, but even plasmas has their limitations, in normal viewing condition and gaming condition I don`t see how to ruins the experience.
one must come in terms that nothing is perfect, everything has limitations, this is my first high end pc monitor and I use to play pc games on LG HDTV which had the same light bleed if not worst and this monitor in comparison is very beautiful. if it bothers you so much get the 144HZ asus gaming montior which I think has a TN panel but you must live with how bad it looks in comparision and the washed colors.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
mine looks identical to this http://imgur.com/D4CSf at about 50% brightness, and it looks pretty much like yours, there is even one guy who replaced his panel 3 times with them all looking the same in terms of light bleed he even mentioned that the first one had the least bleed! I will try to find the forum and post it here.
seems to be a manufacturing limitation nothing more

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
quote:
TBH in person all 3 of the monitors I had look pretty much exactly the same in person in terms of the amount of back light bleeding they had and where it was located, although from my pictures I think my first monitor had it a little better off then my last 2. Unfortunately my 3rd PB278Q has 2 stuck pixels and 2 dead pixels this time and since I live in a small city I've literally tried out every PB278Q that I can buy locally and all of them had dead/stuck pixels =/. I think now I might just try a different monitor as I seem to be having back luck with this one.

from http://www.overclock.net/t/1311936/asus-pb278q-the-official-2560x1440-semi-glossy-pls-thread/650

Bradley_

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I just purchased a pb278Q and I think it has pretty noticeable backlight bleeding...I first noticed it when playing videogames in very dark areas, the bottom right corner especially seems to have a lighter glow than the rest of the screen. So no I'm also faced with the dilemma, try my luck with another box of the same model, or go with a different brand or model all together. Its a shame because I really do like the monitor aside from this particular issue.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb208/Drayquan/501.jpg

This seems like a common issue with this model, but has anyone had any luck with a pb278Q having no backlight bleed or is this seriously the issue on all of them?