HP pavilion dv5000 SLOW problem

quaz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I do have a strange problem with my hp pavilion dv5000. Suddenly, and I have not yet noticed what causes it exactly, my PC starts to run too slow and my sound gets jumpy. When this happens for the first time, no matter what many users say about CPU overheating, the problem will not go away anymore, even if you turn your computer off and turn it on 1 day later, with it totally cool!! It is not a CPU temperature issue.

"Why" or "why in a specific time" this problem starts, is unknown to me, but I am gathering more information on this annoying problem and I am starting to be convinced that it has something to do with "SOUND" (the sound card and/or its driver), because this slowliness always happens after i play videos on youtube or listen to music!! It may seem a bit strange, but i have spotted this for the million(th) time the problem occured. The problem only gets solved if I format my disk and reinstall the OS, in my case, the XP Professional SP3. The problem gets solved until it happens again, on a later stage!

The MAIN problem issues are:
1) hard disk always reading
2) sound very jumpy
3) mouse pointer slow and jumpy
4) VERY SLOW start up of windows (more than 5 minutes)
5) Impossibility of work due to the slowliness.
6) once the problem happens for the first time, it will never pass until you format the computer.

quaz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
It happens RANDOMLY. And I have seen many posts about this problem over the net and none has resulted in a CLEAR solution of this problem. My CPU is not overheating at all. I also thought about that, since as a protection, the overheated CPU will reduce the cycles to cool it down. THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM at all.

As I said before, even considering it was a overheat problem, it should pass if I turn it off and wait for it to cool down. WRONG!! Even with the CPU totally frozen the problem will no longer pass, once it has appeared for the first time.

It is really strange that the problem persists, even with the CPU hot or cool. And, even more strange is to "catch" this problem ALWAYS while watching clips on youtube or listening musics with BSPlayer. I remember well everytime time problem happened: first, the sound gets jumpy once in a while... then... a few minutes later, the disk starts reading abnormally and you can't even swtich windows or do anything for a long time... then... it's chaos! You no longer have control over your PC; slowliness takes over it and it GAME OVER for it. You can do whatever you want then, from that point forward. NOTHING will solve it anymore. YOU WILL NEED TO FORMAT it and re-install Windows.

ihog

Distinguished
Even with overheating protection, crap can hit the fan. The CPU can heat up very quickly, my friend. Just because you turn it off and come back to it, doesn't mean it won't heat up.

Download a stress testing program, like Prime 95 (run the Small FFTs test) or Intel Burn Test, and monitor your temps.

quaz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

I do understand what you mean, honestly. But now, please think with me.

When the problem starts, you no loger have control over your PC. The slowliness is unbearable. So, no matter what you do, will solve it. Following your point of view (and you are right about one thing), the CPU will heat very quickly, even if it's cool. RIGHT. YOU ARE RIGHT in this POINT. But, isn't it strange that, after the problem starts, WITHOUT letting the CPU cool down, I start a disk formatting and, afterwards I re-install Windows and, PLEASE NOTE, still having my CPU hot, after Windows installation, my OS starts working perfectly again for undetermined time (weeks, months, maybe 1 year) all along, until the problem starts again? Isn't this strange to you?

quaz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

I HAVE ALSO thought about that possibility. I thought: Yes, maybe my hard drive is bad. But, if it was bad, it would still bad, after or before a re-installation of Windows. AND, NOTE, i do not need to format the drive before I re-install Windows for the problem to go away. I just need to re-install Windows. :) In fact, my friend, this is a long-time annoying problem on several forums over the net. This Pavilion dv5000 model has certainly technical issues, i'm sure of that. Issues that even HP refuses to talk about or comment.

And the truth is: no one until now could solve the problem without a format and/or re-installation of Windows. Once it starts, it will never stop. It's like a fu**ing curse!!