My PC Will Shut Down Windows But Won't Turn off? please help?

DC234

Honorable
May 7, 2013
firstly my pc specs:
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
Palit GeForce GTX 650 Ti Nvidia Graphics Card 2GB
AMD FX 4170 Processor - 4.2GHz, SKT AM3+, 12MB, 125W, PIB
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Seagate 1 TB Hard Drive
LG 24x SATA Bare Internal DVD Rewriter
Powercool 750W 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU
Logitech Mouse
Microsoft Keyboard
Windows 7 64Bit

Just Recently My PC Will Not Turn Off however it will shut down windows. I Don't Know what the problem is, the lights the fan everything stays on i can even open the CD drive. I have been using it for 4 months and no problems till know. i have been doing some research on it and yet it still doesn't turn off, however i can turn it off from the back switch but when i turn it back on and the CPU Fan goes mentally fast and loud until i press the power button and turns on the OS. It will not turn off in SAFE MODE. I've Updated every driver, i have updated my BIOS. I even thought that to leave it on and let it cool down. I have done a system restore to before it happened and list goes on. SO this is why i ask the question, what can it be because i am stumped and have no clue what is wrong. Please Help and thank you in advance

So Basically It Shuts down The PC but everything in the Tower Case stays on Until i turn it off from the switch. And When i Turn on From the Back Switch the Fans go mentally fast and loud.

Hi, Is there a USB device externally powered connected? If not, then I suggest borrowing a power supply and testing.
It looks like the 12V rail remains on.
Try also disconnecting the front panel wires from the motherboard and start the board by shortly touching with a screwdriver the 2 pins where the 2 wires from the power button were connected. Then shut down Windows and see if still the same.

DC234

Honorable
May 7, 2013

hello theres no powered usb devices so it cannot be that. Can you please explain the 12V Rail remains on?

The power supply provides 12V even after shutting down the system. It's either a board or a power supply issue. Most probably a power supply one. Try firstly disconnecting the front panel wires (to rule out a faulty button or a short).

DC234

Honorable
May 7, 2013

just tryed it no luck any more suggestions? cheers for replying

DC234

Honorable
May 7, 2013

i will try this tomorrow i will get back with the results

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
I want to add my voice here to say I have the same Mainboard with Windows 10 and experiencing the problem. I have not had another system on this system. What makes it worse is that when I do the 4-seconds button press, instantly the CPU/Mainboard powers back on and I have to do the thing again to keep it quieit. So apparently this can never be an OS problem. I have used at least 2-3 in this system and I remember this always. However the guy I bought it from (the case) has messed with some of the wires, so maybe there is a short (in the front-panel connection cables), so I'll have to check what the hell he has done.

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
And I can say that:
- the erratic behaviour is due to the power button indeed
- nothing to do with any wires really
- Linux powers down the system just fine
- Windows still doesn't
- changing ACPI 2.0 modes makes Windows not boot
- I can only conclude this is a Windows problem with this motherboard.

Again, I have tried several PSUs. This is the 3rd or 4th PSU that is in this system. And as we've seen the fact that it works with Linux should indicate that it is not a hardware problem.

InformaticGuy

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
Thing you are encountering is windows error. Probably missing or corrupt files. You have seen all those screens saying "logging off" and "Shutting down", but shutdown was unable to complete. You can try 2 things:
1.) try running chkdsk /r. It will take a long time to scan, but will fix all of data/datasystem/windows files errors.
2.) simply disconnect power source

xen111

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

1. is pretty much useless, there are much more advanced techniques and they also don't work.

2. is not a solution, the goal was to get the PC to turn off through ACPI, saying "deal with it" is not a solution.