Cisco 2504 WLC + Stat Tracking

Weebro

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Does anyone know any way to keep/get stats from the WLC? Currently I log into it at set times during the day and mark down how many clients are connected to the APs.

We are needing to track how many people connect into the wireless everyday since it goes into our yearly statistics that we have to report.

I am sure there is an easier way to do this, I just don't know what that is.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Luckily this is a commercial grade device which unlike most consumer stuff does support SNMP.

Generally with cisco gear if you can display something with a command you can get the same value via a SNMP request. This is not always easy but cisco documents their MIB values very well.

I would try one of the many network monitoring tools and see if someone has already got a template for this device. I am going to bet something simple like you want is part of one of the generic ones. Generally these tools will graph whatever variables you are monitoring taking samples ever few minutes.

I would try Zabbix first then maybe MRTG or Nagios. There is also a commercial tool called PRTG that has a trial option. PRTG can do this function but it primary usage is to collect netflow data but unlike the 3 other tools this one is based on windows.

You might also be able to write your own script one something simple like this. There are tons of free SNMP mib browser tools. Once you find the correct mib it is trivial to get the value.