Need an opinion on case cleaning

ravenomega

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Would it be safe to vacuum out the bottom of the case where dust falls and the spots where the fans are located? I'm not vacuuming components or anything.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Power it down and unplug the power cord from the back of the computer. Wait a good 2 minutes after this to let all capacitors discharge. Make sure to ground yourself to prevent any other unwanted shocks.

most vaccuum hoses are plastic so they will not conduct. i would suggest having the pc powered down but only so you dont have to worry about spinning fans or accidentally knocking a component loose.

you can vaccuum dust off of the bottom of the pc case but i would highly suggest using compressed air (from a can) to clean components and fans. it works better and is safer.

i have no idea why the others think this is such a dangerous affair.

ravenomega

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Thanks for the replies all.
For the fans i use q-tips and some rubbing alcohol. But i meant like removing the fan and then vacuuming the little holes behind it on the case. Would it be safe on the power supply also that sits at the bottom considering it is grounded? And I don't think it matters what nozzle you use on a vacuum, static will always be there.

i would suggest using a vacuum on the dust along the bottom inside of the case not on components.

compressed air will clean these fairly well. i blow the fans out with compressed air and it is fast (15 seconds) and works well. i blow the psu out with compressed air also.

generally, you will want to avoid using the vacuum on any parts however getting the heavies up along the bottom of the case is fine.

ravenomega

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

What about the power supply? It's located on the bottom.

ravenomega

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I meant like the outside of it : p And thanks for the help!