Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Talks a Little More About Windows Blue

Last response: in News comments
Share
May 7, 2013 1:16:02 PM

Just give us a proper start button and start menu option and it'll sell like hotcakes.
Score
20
May 7, 2013 1:26:24 PM

"The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT"
Everyone wants the start button, what is wrong with you people.
Score
12
Related resources
May 7, 2013 1:44:26 PM

kawininjazx said:
... what is wrong with you people.

"You people"?! What do you mean by "you people"?!!!
Score
-3
May 7, 2013 1:53:23 PM

why do people need the start button when the metro screen does the same thing? only difference is it takes up the entire screen.
Score
-1
May 7, 2013 1:57:35 PM

It may sound stupid to non-Windows 8 adopters but Metro and the new desktop feature as a whole feel significantly more functional and work much better. In retrospect besides the most used applications list which isn't present, the start button is not just useless but annoying in comparison
Score
-4
May 7, 2013 2:18:05 PM

Yea, I like many other people where thrown off a bit by the Metro interface until I figured out how to use it. Turns out it is vastly superior to the start button. You can find things allot faster, get information at a glance, switch between applications really fast, and if you want to find a file, folder, setting, document, email, app you name it all you have to do is just type the name click on the result. Works especially well for finding a particular program. Just type the name and it filters out everything else instantly.
I find that now that I am use to it I am more productive. Is it perfect, no. They need to work on a few things but it works well and makes using my PC faster.
Score
0
May 7, 2013 2:18:22 PM

henry3 - as someone who uses both Win8 and Win7, Windows 8's start menu just doesn't make sense on a workstation. The "pause to open" functionality is cumbersome and not necessary. On the Start Screen I have to drag to the upper left corner to see open programs. To shutdown I have to drag to the lower right corner and pause to open menus. Why am I waiting when I could just click? Also, flipping back and forth between apps in the Start Screen and apps on the desktop is redundant. There is an IE for Start Screen, IE for desktop. Isn't it just more seamless to have a desktop?
Then there is performance. Performance of storage is inferior on Windows 8. My PCIe drive and SATA3 SSD's are about 10-15 percent slower in 8.
I just reinstalled Windows 8 last week and had 1.3GB of updates to run. I counted up functionality vs security updates and it was 950MB functionality and 350MB security. That is a lot of fixing for an OS that is only 6 months old. Fixing is good, but there has to be some degree of proper functionality from the initial release.
Score
4
May 7, 2013 2:22:38 PM

Esrever i'm surrprised to hear you say that unless your being funny since in your discribtion of the new start menu it clearly says what's wrong "it takes up the whole screen"
Which means lowers multitasking, i'm using windows 8 right now and the first thing i did was download something to fix windows 8, however other people are not so nice i had to put windows 7 on many different PC's because people hated 8 and the best i've heard from someone was they got used to it.
Score
0
Anonymous
May 7, 2013 2:31:01 PM

The masses have spoken they hate the look of Win 8 and metro, regardless if you can tweak it and make it look like 7. Win 8 sucks the sweat off a dead man's nuts so fix it. Until then I'm on 7 64 bit runs great and already fast enough with a Vertex 4 512gb SSD.
Score
0
May 7, 2013 2:41:39 PM

esrever said:
why do people need the start button when the metro screen does the same thing? only difference is it takes up the entire screen.


You're asking the wrong question.
Why remove an OPTION from users and IMPOSE something instead?
Some want Metro interface, some want classic desktop and start button. Give the OPTION to choose and you've satisfied both camps, doubling sales as a direct result. You'll have plenty of time to see if/how fast the new interface catches on, and even more time to make it exclusive when the number of Start button users becomes irrelevant.
Score
16
May 7, 2013 3:10:07 PM

"next generation of PC"
Yes, that fills me with hope that after two years they will make something that doesn't suck hairy balls. Maybe even fix WP8 so that it's actually better than WM5 in at least something else than being pretty.
Nah, I won't let them get my hopes high to get them brutally crushed again.
Score
-2
May 7, 2013 3:50:11 PM

house70 said:
esrever said:
why do people need the start button when the metro screen does the same thing? only difference is it takes up the entire screen.


You're asking the wrong question.
Why remove an OPTION from users and IMPOSE something instead?
Some want Metro interface, some want classic desktop and start button. Give the OPTION to choose and you've satisfied both camps, doubling sales as a direct result. You'll have plenty of time to see if/how fast the new interface catches on, and even more time to make it exclusive when the number of Start button users becomes irrelevant.

people who want a start menu probably don't even use window 8. Its like asking for the option of having a tricycle when you have a car. There is no reason not to use the metro menu, it litterally takes less than a minute to learn.

jdwii said:
Esrever i'm surrprised to hear you say that unless your being funny since in your discribtion of the new start menu it clearly says what's wrong "it takes up the whole screen"
Which means lowers multitasking, i'm using windows 8 right now and the first thing i did was download something to fix windows 8, however other people are not so nice i had to put windows 7 on many different PC's because people hated 8 and the best i've heard from someone was they got used to it.

When do you need your whole screen when you access the start menu? I have never had such an instant be needed. The transition is instant for opening and closing the metro screen. You still have everything you need once you leave. If thats not enough. The sidebars have most of the options you would probably use the start menu for anyways.
Score
-1
a b * Windows 8
May 7, 2013 4:40:29 PM

@Esrever

I use Windows 8 with Start8 and wish they would bring back the original native Start Menu so I don't need a third-party program to make Windows how I like it. Anyone with half a brain should have made metro optional on Windows installation.

Just because something works for you and your fine with it does not mean it's going to be the same for another person. On a tablet metro is great, but on a desktop PC I feel very uncomfortable with it in it's current form.

I love the classic start menu, why fix what's not broken?

Some of us power users have over 50-100 programs installed. For me the start menu lets me quickly access my documents, my computer, control panel, networks, and other locations, I feel comfortable with it way more than metro.
Score
1
a b * Windows 8
May 7, 2013 6:03:45 PM

"An opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8"
Dear Tami,
I glad you peeked out of the cupboard?, it`s been months since we have seen or heard from you!.
Have you made the amendments to windows 8 yet?
The one we talked about, giving the end user the choice of what style of UI they wish to use? You know Metro thingy bob, or the one that looks like windows 7 ?.
We should of given them that choice in the first place.
Come to think of it the sales of windows 8 may improve if we listen to the customer, that sounds like a jolly good Idea Tami.
Ps: Remember to put the Start button back once your finished playing with it!
Hide and seek was not one of you best games if I recall.
You do remember where it`s supposed to be don`t you Tami?
I hope you have not lost it.
That could be very bad news for us! so make sure you stick it where it belongs and should be Tami.
I mean it has been a few months now, and we want to show we have been listening to our customers after all Tami.
Score
0
May 7, 2013 8:02:00 PM

esrever said:
why do people need the start button when the metro screen does the same thing? only difference is it takes up the entire screen.

The problem with metro is that while it is great on a smartphone and a tablet, it feels like going back 15 years on a desktop environment. Yes, by all means include it in the desktop version, but keep OPTIONS for users by letting people choose between starting to a typical desktop environment or metro based on the individuals preferences.

And for those who find the Start button annoying, you don't have to use it if it's there. You can leave it alone and use your computer however you like without denying a feature much desired by others.

If Microsoft puts the options back in, Windows 8 will likely do very well. It is a very stable, very robust OS but the interface is the main thing people access an OS with, and if you don't give people what they want in an interface, you won't have good sales.

Score
0
May 7, 2013 9:15:53 PM

Nightly Business Report on OPB had a segment on Microsoft listening to customer feedback for Windows Blue today (Tuesday). Again, no details.
http://nbr.com/category/nbr-shows/ <--should be up by tomorrow (Wednesday)
Score
0
May 8, 2013 12:09:33 AM

It is not a matter of ease of learning or getting accustomed.
Imposing a full screen launcher and full screen apps destroys user's focus and workflow the first time you use it as well as the millionth time, it is just a lame idea, it is plainly wrong, it is just a bad design choice that was rightfully bashed by all usability gurus for the last 30 years.
Re-designing a new API ground up to integrate adware and vendor lock-in to a single Store is not matter of getting accustomed to, it is plainly a bad commercial practice damaging all developers and any third part software distributors.
MS needs needs to kill Metro and Store centric commercial and design strategies to have a future, W8 user base is growing less the half what is needed to guarantee the sheer existing units replacement, that means the user base is quickly shrinking - and as their "new" strategy is based on imposing the new deal using its incumbent power, it will badly backfire in a fast crumble as soon as the wintel user base reaches a critical low point.
Score
1
a b * Windows 8
May 8, 2013 2:17:26 AM

ap3x said:
Yea, I like many other people where thrown off a bit by the Metro interface until I figured out how to use it. Turns out it is vastly superior to the start button. You can find things allot faster, get information at a glance, switch between applications really fast, and if you want to find a file, folder, setting, document, email, app you name it all you have to do is just type the name click on the result. Works especially well for finding a particular program. Just type the name and it filters out everything else instantly.
I find that now that I am use to it I am more productive. Is it perfect, no. They need to work on a few things but it works well and makes using my PC faster.


You do realise you can do the same in 7?

Plus I find that navigating by keyboard (which I often do if I only have one hand free) is far faster and clearer in 7.
Score
0
May 8, 2013 4:18:20 AM

esrever said:

people who want a start menu probably don't even use window 8. Its like asking for the option of having a tricycle when you have a car. There is no reason not to use the metro menu, it litterally takes less than a minute to learn.
...
When do you need your whole screen when you access the start menu? I have never had such an instant be needed. The transition is instant for opening and closing the metro screen. You still have everything you need once you leave. If thats not enough. The sidebars have most of the options you would probably use the start menu for anyways.


Again, you miss the actual point. People like to have options even more than what the actual options are. It's basic human psychology and someone at Microsoft should be hired to explain that to the design team.
It does not matter whether you prefer the classic UI or the Metro UI. It's all about having the OPTION to choose. Take that away from people and you'll have the reaction that you see all over the point-of-sales.
Imagine you're a customer that hates Metro UI with a passion. You have the option to choose the classic UI, so you still buy Windows 8 because that's how you plan to use it and you like it's security, stability, etc. You get it home, install it and set it up the way you always liked it. After a while, when you feel bored one afternoon or a weekend, you give Metro UI a shot, and discover it's utility.
From a hater, slowly you become an adopter, then gradually a convert. All that while the company (Microsoft) have still made that sale.
You see now what I mean?
Score
1
May 8, 2013 6:01:09 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
ap3x said:
Yea, I like many other people where thrown off a bit by the Metro interface until I figured out how to use it. Turns out it is vastly superior to the start button. You can find things allot faster, get information at a glance, switch between applications really fast, and if you want to find a file, folder, setting, document, email, app you name it all you have to do is just type the name click on the result. Works especially well for finding a particular program. Just type the name and it filters out everything else instantly.
I find that now that I am use to it I am more productive. Is it perfect, no. They need to work on a few things but it works well and makes using my PC faster.


You do realise you can do the same in 7?

Plus I find that navigating by keyboard (which I often do if I only have one hand free) is far faster and clearer in 7.


Uh yea, you can do some of the same things in Windows 7. Just does not work in the same way nor is it nearly as fast.
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
May 8, 2013 6:55:04 AM

ap3x said:
Someone Somewhere said:
ap3x said:
Yea, I like many other people where thrown off a bit by the Metro interface until I figured out how to use it. Turns out it is vastly superior to the start button. You can find things allot faster, get information at a glance, switch between applications really fast, and if you want to find a file, folder, setting, document, email, app you name it all you have to do is just type the name click on the result. Works especially well for finding a particular program. Just type the name and it filters out everything else instantly.
I find that now that I am use to it I am more productive. Is it perfect, no. They need to work on a few things but it works well and makes using my PC faster.


You do realise you can do the same in 7?

Plus I find that navigating by keyboard (which I often do if I only have one hand free) is far faster and clearer in 7.


Uh yea, you can do some of the same things in Windows 7. Just does not work in the same way nor is it nearly as fast.


Some? I can't find anything in your list that I can't do in 7 (other than the relative stuff which isn't true/false anyway). Except email, and I'm with gmail.

As far as fast goes, results seem to turn up in somewhere around 1/2 a second, and that's on a old slow laptop HDD. Plus if I remember the consumer preview right, you had to select whether you were searching in Apps, Files, or Settings, adding another step. I'm not sure if it automatically showed the search pane as soon as you started typing either, which would be a dumb mistake.
Score
1
May 11, 2013 6:24:56 AM

The reason why some of the better developers rarely change a GUI is they realize the importance of workflow. Facebookers can deal with the Metro crap. It's an annoyance for a workstation. Why not make a customizable GUI? Apple is grateful to Steve Ballmer.
Score
0
!