Purchase a CPU upgrade or another graphics card?

aequitas147

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hey guys, I've been feeling the itch for another upgrade for my desktop and debating between upgrading my amd 8120 to an 8320 (on sale for 159.99) or buy another 7870 graphics card. I like to game on my computer, but not sure which should be upgraded first? Been looking at benchmarks and what not to see if the transition of CPU's is worth it, or just wait for Steamroller to come out. Opinions are appreciated thank you! :)

logainofhades

Titan
If you don't have one, get a good cpu cooler, overclock the 8120 and wait for steamroller. While the 8320 is a better chip, I don't know if you would get much of a performance boost by making the switch for games. Another 7870 would improve gaming, but only for games that support CF well.

aequitas147

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Yeah I'm using the Zalman 135mm CPU cooler and cranked my CPU up to 4.2Ghz. Just didn't know how much of an improvement the 8320 would be. So I guess there isn't a whole lot of improving left to do with my rig.. crap haha. Thanks though!

logainofhades

Titan
There is improvement that can be made, but the costs vs the benefits might not be that great. I would wait for Steamroller and the AMD 8xxx cards early next year. Your rig is plenty capable of handling anything you throw at it gaming wise with decent settings.