Contemplating water cooling - start with existing rig or with next rig?

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I'm thinking of venturing into custom loops for better overclocks and aesthetics, but I'm a bit absent-minded and clumsy - not the best traits for work that involves electronics and water.

I still want to build the loop myself, though - what's the fun in having your rig shipped off for some stranger to do it?

Should I start by converting my current air + closed loop rig and getting some practice in? Or should I just wait until I start building my next rig?

The only issue I see with converting my current rig is that I'm currently using two old GTX 550 Tis, so I'll have to go the universal block and heatsinks route. My next rig will likely have two high end GPUs (680s, 7970s, or future equivalents) - will I be missing out on much by re-using the universal blocks instead of getting full covers?

I think start with your current rig, just dont include the GPU's. Build yourself an overkill, upgradable CPU loop (because a CPU block will support just about any socket) and implement that into your current rig.
When the time comes and you get the new rig, just move it over and add the GPU's to the loop with possibly some more radiator space.

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I agree with monaofchalk, just get an super cpu setup for now, a basic setup with all the extra raddage you'll need for two gpus, then obivosuly buy the gpu blocks when you get the gpus. As for being absent minded, im right there with you lol I had to reinstall it at least twice dry. Just triple check everything..then check it again. Ive learned to do that now for everything including my daily life and my short term memory has been improving much of late. I looked up videos of how to install it right and even how not to install it. Short story it just pays to be well prepared. You'll do fine I was super nervous at first as well, I think thats only natural when hundreds of dollars worth of electronics could be destroyed in a few short seconds.