Final Checks on My Gaming PC

roostar9000

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hi Everyone :)

I've been wanting to put together a gaming system for a while now and after quite a lot of research I've come down to this conclusion of parts. Some extra advice would be greatly appreciated and would just love to know your thoughts.
CPU: i5-3570k 3.4GHz
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4) DDR3-1600MHz
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Case:Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
PSU:Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver Certified (modular if curious:))
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95

Eventually i want to Crossfire 2 7970's, and i want to know if any of my parts would bottleneck or anything like that.

Thanks alot.

xAdam

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Thats a very nice build, akin to mine at the moment. Any plans on what overclock you plan to reach? and two 7970s in crossfire will be beast. Only improvement i can think of would be an SSD, and although not essential would improve the build.

And Bottlenecking, all parts have a bottleneck technically, this is what people dont understand, its how severe your bottleneck is that effects the system. Two 7970s will perform better than one but remember that putting that much power into your build (depending on how far down the line you upgrade) could be a waste of money as upgrading your graphics card to something that is currently top of the range at the time could be better.

Emelth

Distinguished

Alright hypothetically speaking lets say we are a year in the future the 8xxx series is out and they just released 8x90 or whatever they want to name. If he was to add another 7970 at that time I would still be willing to bet my pay check that his SLI will be able to keep up with the next gen equivalent and the price of the 7970 a year from now would be cheaper as well. Win win Epic win

roostar9000

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Im pretty much gonna buy another 7970 about 2 weeks - 1 month after i build the pc. And would the ssd be worth the extra $200ish

Emelth

Distinguished
For the type of high end system you are about to make yes I would very much recommend you get the SSD before you get the 2nd GPU. Putting the OS and most used apps and games on the SSD would make you system a shit ton faster

The SSD improves overall system responsiveness. Windows boots up, shuts down, and updates faster. Apps and games load faster. It just makes the whole thing feel tighter. I'd shoot for a 256GB model, but I wouldn't go below 128GB at the moment.