Good Boot Time

hapibanana21

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I don't know if this is the right section for this but since I'm running Windows 7, I thought of posting it here.

Is 1 minute+ (and 10-20 seconds) a good boot time? Computer usually goes to the desktop before 1 minute but settles somewhere 1 minute (Windows login music plays). The computer is running 80-90+ processes at normal.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU is i5-3570k at 3.40 GHz (Never changed any settings)
8 GB RAM
1 GB Seagate HDD (Don't know the RPM but probably 7200)

Computer boots in 30-40 secs (or less) when it was new though. Just wanna know if this is normal and is having a delayed Windows login sound normal too? Never had that before since it plays as soon as I get to the desktop.

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Normally, as you add more software, your computer becomes bloated and some programs fire up as Windows starts. You should first check your startup list, see if you can disable any services that run when you boot your Windows.

To do this, go to Start > Run > type "msconfig" (without quotes), then click the Startup tab on the right, and uncheck programs that don't need to start automatically. This will not have any effect on the programs themselves, they will just start working when you click them.

You should also do a clean swoop and check your computer for viruses / trojans / malware as they can hinder your startup boot time.