AMD APU A10-6800k vs A10-5800k?

Get A10-5800k now? or wait for A10-6800k?

• A10-5800k

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • A10-6800k

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Neither.. Intel Fan

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

giles2603

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
So AMD still haven't said when and if they are bringing out a new A10 and A8 APU but there has been rumors their coming out in June!
They apparently have got the HD 8670D graphics!
However with the limited information known, the only difference known so far is the new graphics and it clock speed will be 4.1 rather than 3.8!

So my question is.. would you buy the A10-5800k now for a first ever build, or wait till the release of the new A10-6800k (unknown price) next month?
I could wait since i have exams this month which is more important than gaming, although with the A10-5800k you get a free copy of SimCity 2013 at the moment!

SimCity 5 has been getting some unfavorable reviews. Unless you are a diehard fan of the re-boot franchise, then I recommend you search online for some reviews of the game.

If you are solely looking at integrated graphics to play games then the A10-6800k will offer the best performance. Intel has also increased the performance of their iGPU but if you want to buy the best graphics core version (HD 5200e "Iris"), then will need to buy one of three CPU "R" models that are imbedded into the motherboard. Meaning, there is no socket; the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.

It depends, how soon do you need this computer built? Richland is first coming out for notebooks then later this fall for desktops, so don't expect to see any CPU's next month or the month after. My one caution is that if your buying an APU you absolutely must purchase high speed memory to go with it, at least DDR3-1866 if not DDR3-2133.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I was stuck in this position maybe 2 months ago I choose the trinity, only because of time, now you need to wait. They are coming in June. And if they aren't then they have to be right around the corner being my mobo just received a bios update to support the new Richland series.

8350rocks

Distinguished

How's the A10-5800k working out for you? I see you OC'ed, I bet you're getting some good performance out of it.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I really love it, I believe I tested It and ATM it is on par with the fx-6100 now that I have bought a separate gpu temps are better so might go higher, not sure if I got lucky (knock on wood) but these APU can OC like a BOSS if he gets a 6800k he will probably hit 4.5ghz or better.

DKazzed

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I have an A8-5600k which I love. I may think of going with an A10-6800k eventually. I heard it may go in dual graphics mode with a 7770, in which case I'll hold off on graphics card upgrades. I can play a bunch of games on medium to high settings on a 720p TV as it is including Simcity so I'm happy for now! I guess Battlefield 3 will be a true test, after I finish Battlefield 2.

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I've really gamed as I've been an exclusive Mac user for the past 8 years.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Nothing wrong with trying something other than windows...but welcome back all the same :)

fwagner

Honorable
May 29, 2013

the release date of richland apu´s is 4th june 2013, i´ve readed it in many webs and forums so we all think that the desktop and laptop chipset will be released in the same date.

I´m waiting for this apu, i have been 30 days without pc because of the f***king release date so i hope the shops starts to sell it as soon as possible, the 4th of june would be great.

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I literally just completed an A10-5800K build. I did mine with the 1GB GDDR 5 Radeon 6670 and am configured with dual graphics. I am also using DDR3 1866 RAM and an entry level mobo. Added a SSD and this machine is quick, really quick. I primarily play WoW and am getting 70+GPS on high/ultra at 1080P. I have no complaints at all. I am very happy I went with AMD vs Intel and feel I got way more bang for my buck.

giles2603

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Well I waited and they came earlier than I expect.. aria.co.uk got them online today and looking at the specs and the price difference compared to the 5800k, it seems worth the extra money :)

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Nice new GPU, mine is kinda like the new A10-6800k only because the only difference was the clock speed and gpu( which is a really nice update) I think the new gpu was the only thing they we striving for in this update, but I got a 7870 and a OCed a10 trinity so i kinda have Richland, but they are in newegg right now, but I can almost get if you wait they will price lower it for a sale of add a free game or something, but if you can wait go ahead and buy it!!

We're getting off subject here. Not enough hours in the day to take care of everything. However, the PSU Recommendation List and the PSU Lemon List that I maintain which are listed in the PSU sticky are up to date. I work on them fairly regularly. Here are the links:

PSU Lemon List: http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

PSU Recommendations: http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommendations.html

I also maintain the ssd database listed in the ssd sticky. Here's that link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Getting back on subject. I've read some of the AMD Richland APU reviews that were published yesterday and today. I'm starting to think it might be worth waiting for the new AMD Kavery APU that will be released later this year. The reviews suggest that the Richland APU is a modest improvement while the Kavery APU will probably be a major improvement, especially for the integrated graphics. The Kavery APU will require new AMD FM2+ motherboards.