Will I be able to boot with Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and FX 8350?

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Hi, I am upgrading my PC and I'm going for the AMD FX 8350. I'm pretty sold on Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 but I have to know beforehand if this is going to work. The mobo needs a BIOS update to "function" with processors from the FX series according to the GB website. I don't have a spare AM3+ processor to update BIOS with so my question is if it will work anyway, but not optimally of course, until I have updated BIOS, using the FX8350? Thanks.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
The website doesn't say. I checked on the manufacturers site and they say the latest vesion of the mobo is 3.0, but they still say in the info that you need to update BIOS. I've sent an email to the store asking for version and they will hopefully answer tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

You are correct. According to the CPU list, BIOS version FD is required. This is weird because the motherboard was released after the FX-8350 was already available to Gigabyte. Presume that it won't work unless the store flashes the latest BIOS.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Thats a shame. Thanks for replying!

If you really want that motherboard, couldn't you ask the store to flash it or at least have them agree to flash it if it doesn't work?

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I have to order over the internet, they said it would work but they only cited the motherboards AM3+ support on the website (and that for rev 1.0). I asked if I could send it back if it didn't work and they will probably get back to me on monday. Do you think there is any chance a BIOS update could be installed from USB? I heard it would work for another motherboard. I don't know much about these things, does the fact that it contains a 970 chip means it has a built in processor chip?

Thanks in advance

Edit: It should be noted that another site sells the two in a boundle (http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/komponenter/uppgraderingspaket/moderkort-processor--ram/amd-fx8350ga-970a-ds38gb/186464.7789/). I guess they have updated BIOS :) Thanks for your help

Did you read the reviews on Newegg? Reviewer JimBob wrote on 1/22/2013:

Cons: Purchased as part of a bundle through Newegg. All arrived yesterday, Spent the evening assembling, power up and nothing.
Called Gigabyte this morning, gave the tech the Serial Number and all the other Hardware info.

Oh, it has the older BiOs, it won't support your FX-6100 Processor without updating the Bios. Please use an AM3 processor to flash the BiOs or have Newegg ship you a new one.

Well, don't have or have access to an AM3 processor to flash BiOs with. Considering I received the Rev 3.0 board I would have figured it would be AM3+ ready. Be aware if you plan to purchase this board.

Other Thoughts: RMA was asy enough, did a replacement, hopefully new board will have the updated BiOs.

I wouldn't presume that the BIOS has been upgraded for the bundle.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Okay, I already ordered it Before Reading this and here I am, it's working fine :) Revision 3.0. I do not know if the Electronic retailer had updated BIOS but I don't Think so. It worked straight out of the box. Just an update to anyone who is thinking about buying this combination. I love the mobo!

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Of course! BIOS-version: FC according to the EasyTune5 software. Hope this helps.

Newegg is pretty good with their boards. I have always gotten the latest BIOS (and revisions too) already installed in all the boards I have ordered and it's been mainly Gigabyte boards. I think they have a fast turn over rate and boards don't sit too long before they are sold.