NVIDIA To Release GTX 700 Series? Price Drops and Discounts!

GTX 700 Series Coming Out In Late May

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Quite Know

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

MrGamingdwarf

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Hey guys, I've just noticed that all NVIDIA 600 series (besides the 690) has had a price drop on Newegg and that they're having tons of promo codes for them. Does this mean the 700 series is coming out late May (May 23rd as rumors state)? In my opinion this is the beginning of the GTX 700 series. What do all of you guys think.

Reggie Goodwin

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I think that, instead of upgrading my 660 ti to a 680, I'll get a a 780 *aka gtx titan le* and hope I won't have to upgrade to 8**. But I can't wait.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I would say that they probably will be release this month. If not, then in June for sure, because there would be no other explanation for the price drops

*Cough* Unless Nvidia got off its high horse and realized that the performance they give isn't worth the cost compared to AMD right now *Cough*
;)

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Cuda is very good compared to stream definitely. But Im talking about the gaming side of things:p
If you take advantage of Cuda for video encoding/decoding and things like that then yes, nvidia is good.

Looking at gaming performance though, AMD is ahead.

Reggie Goodwin

Honorable
May 8, 2013
caydn12, look at 680 vs 7970 *gaming wise* the 680 beats it 5 - 10% EVEN IN IT'S OWN GAMES. I try not to be a fan boy but, nvidia did me well so far, but if AMD comes out with a it's rumored bundle I'll get that but till then I'm with nvidia

Oddly, looking at gaming performance is irrelevant. It's sales that matter most and Nvidia outsells AMD by more than 2 to 1. With that said, checking TPU's latest Performance Per Dollar charts show Nvidia cards beating their AMD counterparts hands down across the board... with Titan as the exception, of course.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inno3D/iChill_GTX_650_Ti_Boost/28.html

So, on topic, I do believe that price drops on the 600 series are inbound. The prices listed for the 700 series are reasonable with each 700 series card at the same price point as the 600 series counterpart just above it (770 at 680 price point, 760 Ti at 670 price point, etc.). This means the older cards need to go down in price to fit the pricing structure and clear out stock.

GeForce-GTX-770_1.jpg

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-700-series-enthusiast-roadmap-leaked-gtx-780-feature-gk110300-gpu-3-gb-memory/

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

I'm kind of a weird fellow.. (my friends get pissed at me for being like this)
Im not a fan of comparing stock vs stock.
I am a fan of comparing 2 cards overclocked to their maximum safe potential. My friends get so angry about this when we benchmark:p
See, if I have a card, and I can OC it to a faster speed than my friends card, and his card costs nearly $100 more than mine, then I don't care about stock at that point. My card is faster, sure its overclocked, but im my personal opinion faster is faster.
That being said, I think an OC 7970 wins against an OC 680. Ive even seen some rather BEASTLY overclocks on a 7950 beat an overclocked 680.

But if you compare a stock 680 vs a stock 7970 it wins.
If you compare the 7970 with the 670 (same price range) its a closer battle and they trade blows even at stock. Although the 7970 can overclock quite further than the 670

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

That is kind of strange.. It says that the 7950 has a lower price/performance than a 660ti.
In my personal, friend bring over computer lets do some benchmarking for fun this weekend experience, my computer with an fx6300 and a 7950 beat his i7-3770k and 660ti honest to god. not by much, i mean like 5-7fps on average.. but still
$200 less in CPU, $80 less in GPU and mine wins? I think that means better price performance.

Now caydn, you keep making critical mistakes here. You have had a tendency to repeat rhetoric, without an appreciation for the more nuanced aspects of the issues. So far, we have seen that the old assumption that price-performance favors AMD is no longer true (unless you factor in three free games versus one).

Second, and this is a common mistake people make, AMD cards in this generation do not actually have more overclocking headroom than their Nvidia counterparts. What you mean to say is that your AMD card scales slightly better when overclocking than the Nvidia card. That's a big difference. In addition to the fact that each individual card is different in its overclocking ability, generally either of these cards are hitting upwards of 1200 MHz on a good day. In fact, you could easily find evidence that the Nvidia flavors overclock better. But scaling, the amount of performance you get from overclocking, now that tends to favor the AMD cards slightly.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Who says price-performance isnt better????
A 7950 beats a 660ti (same price)
A 7970 beats a 670 (same price)
Sure a $500+ gpu (680) beats the 7970 but the 7970 doesnt cost that much.

Sorry, I've confused you by not posting the chart I referenced in the link. This should help to clarify matters and show that the old logic/rhetoric has been transposed. Again, it's a common misconception.

perfdollar.gif

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
See charts dont mean much to me. If my friends 660ti costs more but games slower than my 7950 then in what way is it better price/performance? I just am not understanding.
Maybe ive got this price/performance thing wrong. Do you want the price high and the performance low? ;)

There is a pretty major flaw in that chart - what prices are the values based on? Taking Tom's Hardware's 'best for the money' articles as a worst-case example, tech sites can be way off when it comes to finding the best prices from good retailers (or even coming close). Secondly, assumptions are being made about either what countries people are in, or that price/value is a constant across different countries. I know in some countries the GTX670 costs the same as the 7970, but here, the GTX670 is cheaper.

Overclockability is a weak argument for one card over another since not all silicon comes off the production line the same. Some examples of the exact same model will overclock far better than others (even when all else is equal re cooling etc). Stock performance is guaranteed. Not to mention the common sense argument that not everyone wants to (or knows how to overclock). Several possible reasons for that not worth talking about since the point remains - many people don't overclock.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
But I believe overclocking counts. Thats just me.
If mine can overclock well ans outperform even a gtx 670, then why shouldnt i let it? And why should it not count?
People say: stock is what counts, but i dont get why? All cards go farther than stock so why not see how far they can go and benchmark at their REAL performance?

Reggie Goodwin

Honorable
May 8, 2013

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Thats true. I feel nvidia is for the people that want the overclock guaranteed.

I feel that AMD almost underclocks their cards to help feed us overclockers' sick addiction:p

Reggie Goodwin

Honorable
May 8, 2013
Maybe, I'm having a fight with my self right now in matter of fact, should I wait for the 780 or go with AMD for once again and get the 7990. I know people say, don't get the power you don't need but, It's an addiction, I always try to go for the best besides for processors.

There is that. And like I just said, not all dies have the same headroom. One Asus DirectCU TOP bla bla GTX560 can get higher in the same system than another Asus DirectCU TOP bla bla GTX560 can get. So when it comes to making recommendations, you can't tell people "this GPU will hit xMHz" or even "this card will hit xMHz with good ventilation etc". If every one of those Asus DirectCU TOP bla bla GTX560s hit the same clockspeed then absolutely you could tell people that. But they don't.

And the other side of it is people like me and Reggie don't overclock. Just because you overclock, you can't assume everyone else does. Likewise me and Reggie would be silly to assume that because we don't, nobody else does either. So just means that you need two sets of recommendations - one for people who overclock and another for people who don't. Or at least you would need two recommendations, if not for the above point - no guaranteed clockspeeds anyway so you can't make any promises about overclocking. I've seen people try to return a graphics card for a refund because it didn't reach the clockspeed that other people had got on the same card.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
A 780 is going to be fairly expensive I think. Its going to be between a 680 and titan in performance.
The 7990 is faster than a titan but the problem is that it has crossfire issues.
I would go 780 if you are going to spend that much.
It wont be as fast but it will not have crossfire stutter issues.
Plus the 780 is going to be a beast. Something like 2500 CUDA cores? Straight up animal.

Reggie Goodwin

Honorable
May 8, 2013
Sam_p_lay gots a point
I don't over clock because, I rather get a gtx titan, then over clock a 680 to near the gtx titan specs. It'll over heat because the fan cooler is not mean't to cool something with that much power and two it's voids Nvidia warranty! So if my 660 ti breaks down I could get a new one, but if I overclocked, they more or less give me a discount, but that's all.

Intervenator

Honorable
May 3, 2013
They have been giving out promo codes for graphics cards on Newegg forever. I do not see this as a valid sign that the GTX 700 series is coming out soon, however this does not mean that the 700 series is NOT coming out soon. ;-)

In my opinion, the 700 series IS going to come out in the coming weeks. People who expect a substancial performance increase are being unrealistic when they are using the SAME silicon used in the 600 series with a few tweaks... With the exception of the 780, which is a cut down Titan.