HTPC (On the Cheap). Need input or recommendations

sickley

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I've been thinking about building a htpc for a long time, not having money has mostly been the deterrent. For now I'm just piecing together ideas. I've become quite a novice in respects of building PCs since I really just haven't kept up with all the hardware changes, so any help as welcomed!

I'd like to spend at the very most $350, but under $300 would be great. Will be used in conjunction with a mediaserver (plex media server) using plex media client. Likely will end up playing some games on it, but nothing too graphically intensive. There are a number of items I already have (hdd, os, display, etc.), so if anything isn't included in the build I probably already have something in mind and am not looking to buy the part.

CPU requirements: I picked an APU mainly because I didn't want to buy a cpu AND a gpu, but if there is a better/cheaper way to do it while still allowing some gaming I wouldn't mind switching things up. I'm not really biased towards AMD, Intel, or Nvidia, but I'm not really a fan of Intel graphics (Thus I went with an AMD apu).

Mobo requirements: Hdmi/Dvi and optical out.

Case requirements: I'm not 100% set on this case. Case needs to be black, and I prefer metals more than plastics. I hate having ports or buttons (1 or 2 buttons are fine) all over the front unless they are covered over by something like panel lid. VFD prefered. As far as size goes I don't want anything as big as an the average home theater amp, but bigger than a dvd player is acceptable. Also I don't want a cube shaped case, something with a wider/rectangular shape.

Optical drive requirements: Must read BD, DVD, and CD.

Anything else can be switched in or out under you discretion as long as it fits the bill and performance needs!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-3300 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($39.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCSMZ-2100 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock A75M Micro ATX FM1 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($37.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $325.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-08 23:51 EDT-0400)

g-unit1111

Titan
You don't need a cooler for a locked CPU. You can drop that and I would actually invest more in the case. The one you have picked out is from a junk brand. With the difference saved from the cooler you can get a Fractal Design Node 304.

TRENDING THREADS