Unreadable USB/USB Device Not Recognized

snowboard12

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
So I got a new case a few days ago, Plugged the front USB ports into the motherboard where it says to put them, I have plugged two 1T external hard drives into the front USB 3.0 ports and right then i got a message saying "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)", after that i have tried plugging it into the back USB ports, other laptops, other computers I have, from windows 8 to windows 7. Nothing works, same message every time. I have tried recovering my information on those hard drives using Recuva. But I have got my Western Digital to read on Ubuntu and im transferring all my information to a new hard drive. My other hard drive "Seagate" will not read on Ubuntu and I am not sure if there is any way to get my information off of it. I was going to try and get the information off and reformat the hard drives but then noticed i cant even do that because they are not readable by windows and wont show up as a drive or anything on the computer. Does anybody know if there is a program on Linux that will let me format 1T Hard Drives to Fat32 so that it will be readable by windows?? My real question is how to format these Hard Drives to be workable on windows computers. Im not to worried about the information that is on the Seagate Hard Drive but just as long as i get them to work again, and now i know not to use the front USB 3.0 connections anymore.

snowboard12

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Thank you for the links, they helped me understand more about what the problem could be but nothing worked, I think that it is just my USB 3.0 ports because my front USB 2.0 ports work fine. But do you know of a format program in Linux that is able to format hard drives that are 1T each so it would be readable on windows computers?
Thank you for your help.

well most of the time i just leave it to ext format. and i just download an ext format reader for windows.
as for your question try this :http://www.ehow.com/how_7235886_format-ntfs-partition-linux.html

snowboard12

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Thank you, thats just what i was looking for, I will test it out when i finish backing up all my data to a new hard drive. Thanks again.