Looking for a PSU - enough watts?

riniks92

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm looking for a cheap solution. I know, one shouldn't be cheap when it comes to a PSU as it is a very important component but at the moment I have no choice.

I'm thinking about ordering OCZ-CXS500W-UK 500W.

Do you think 500w would be enough on full power demand?
The previous one was 600w but maybe it was an overkill.

My system:
Intel Q6600
GTX 560 Ti
Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l

Please help me out on this one.

If 500w is not enough I have to look for a 600w psu, but with my budget I can only afford some ''shady'' psu that supposedly is 600w and might not even deliver that much so I might be better off going with this OCZ.
I'm also considering Alphine PS05 600w.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alpine-600w-Gold-Fan-PSU-SLI-Crossfire-UK-Stock-/121072749239?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item1c307f8ab7

Actually, a quality 500w unit (with min 31a on the +12v rails) is fine for that system.
The unit OCZ unit you linked has 37a on the +12v rail so it's fine in that regard.
If it can deliver it's publ specs you are OK.
However, there is one potential big pitfall, the OEM for that unit is HEC, notorius for
poor quality. Without a review from a trusted site on that unit, I'd pass on it.

Yes - if that unit can deliver it's published specs, it has enough power for
your system.
But, as I explained above beware of an HEC built PSU. Here's a couple comments
I found on that PSU on another forum:

"I bought a OCZ-CXS500W-UK CoreXStream Series 500W Power Supply which was dead on arrival."

Has anyone else had bad experience with their PSUs? (I realise that they are not top of the range but I thought they were decent)

"In my experience OCZ delivers good preforming products but has horrendous quality issues which results in many products that spontaneously implode."

"I can speak to their power supplies, RAM and solid state drives as I have seen quality issues with them. As a general rule I now avoid all their products, even if they seem like a good deal."

So, just be cautious, buy from a reputable supplier, & make sure the warranty is
sufficient.