Having trouble deciding Mechanical keyboard

Thyp888

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I'm getting a mech keyboard this week but I'm having trouble with what to choose, I've done some research and I understand what each key is like but I haven't experienced it so I'm not sure. The two keyboards to choose from are
Corsair vengeance k70 mx red (back/red colour scheme)
Cm storm quickfire tk blue
Not sure which to get, I'm a gamer but I'm not really serious and I would like it to be good for typing. Any recommendations are welcome

mx blues are better for typing than mx reds.

if you are open to more suggestions...

mx blues are both tactile (you feel a bump) and audible (you hear a click)
mx browns are tactile but not audible (in case you dont like the sound)
mx reds are not tactile or audible which some prefer for gaming but they are not ideal to type on.

you can install rubber o-rings under the keys which alters the sound and performance of the keys.

if all you want is a bare bones mechanical keyboard i would suggest looking at wasdkeyboards.com
if you want macros and backlighting then try maxkeyboard.com

not sure what the local tax is in your area but if you calculate that and the cost you pay local it really is not going to be much more to buy a keyboard online. if you absolutely need to buy it local then i would say the quickfire with blues is better for typing.

BoltHead513

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
i use the blackwidow ultimate 2013 and i love the blue keys. they are quite loud, so theyre not preferable if you are using it in a bedroom with someone else. they are tactile so you can feel when the key registers. they are the ideal typist keyswitch. browns are the same as blues except not quite as loud. reds are good for gaming and have a lighter resistance than blacks. clears im not too sure of but they are quite rare

wasdkeyboards.com has sound clips to compare the different types of keyswitches with and without o ring dampeners.

blues are a bit loud but they arent terrible. nowhere near as loud as old style ibm buckling springs though (which i loved)