AMD Launching 'Volcanic Islands' GPUs in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
None of this makes sense, or are they just removing Sea Islands (HD 8xxx Series) from the lineup since it got delayed and pushing straight to Volcanic Islands (HD 9xxx Series) that was due in 2014?

nvidiamd

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
this is a good move. nvidia will be rebranding their cards, while amd will give new architecture to the market. so those who got gtx 400/500 and radeon 5000/6000 will be choosing amd :)

This is not the first time this has happened. Besides, Sea Island is out there in mobile GPUs and on the HD7790. So yeah, don't know what you on about?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This would be awesome if it pans out. It could easily have been a misstatement, but hopefully that's not the case since I was just thinking about when to start looking to upgrade from my 6950.

hmm, Nvidia rebranding current products and selling the only new tech at extreme price points (Titan at $1k, 780 rumored to be $699...). if AMD comes out with new architecture, it can potentially rival the 780 or even the Titan at a much lower price point. plus with all the extra game optimizations they'll have due to new consoles, I think AMD's got a nice set up to dominate the graphics market for the coming year

As usual it will probably not pan out that way... Besides no competition can go to AMDs head too...

For once I actually think this could be true... Double performance, no. That many stream processors, yes.

Since Nvidia is cramming so many CUDA cores into their top tier card and the claiming supremacy(makes me think of Volkswagen stunt with the Bugatti Veyron that almost bankrupt them), why should AMD not do the same?

I fully understand your skepticism about the performance and my rational side tells me that you're right. but a man can dream right? :p

as for the Titan, it was a terrible stunt, and I'm hoping AMD corrects this with the volcanic islands series and prices things correctly. it would be terrible if top-tier performance suddenly becomes $1000 rather than $400-500... the dollar did not depreciate that fast over the last year...

Agreed. LOL well lets see how AMD prices those ~4000 stream processors...

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
My 7970 took a dump about a month ago and I got a 7790 to hold me over. Glad to hear this, I'll sell the 7790 and grab whatever the new stuff is.

Uh the HD7xxx series is not old enough for your warranty expire? So WTF?

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Didn't you read the article?

The Sea Islands codename encompasses the PS4 chip, as well as the new mobile chips announced at CES, and the Bonaire GPU found in the Radeon HD 7790.

The HD7970 improved resources by around 20-25% over the HD6970 and achieved on average gaming performance boost of about 45%. The HD9970 at least doubles the HD7970's resources on a more efficient 20nm node and adds serial compute units 8x that of the 7970 and 2x the PS4's. Make no mistake this will be the fastest single graphics card by a long shot this say hypothetical gains is 2x the 7970GE performance that is at least 50% faster than the Titan and will be on a more efficient node.
The reports out is that the 780 is weaker than the Titan (obviously) and the 770 is roughly on par with the 7970GE. This leaves thought that if AMD doubles up throughout all SKU's a midlevel HD9850/70 should give the GTX780 a good run.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm interested if AMD will continue to use the 1,000 number range once they get past the 9xxx series. I can't imagine an AMD 10970, it looks fugly as hell.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Launch like South. Isl? As in, paper launch around Christmas then the actual release later. Also I hope they double everything's specs. A 7750 equiv (9750 or w/e) with the same specs as a 7850 drawing all power from pci-e? Dayuuummm.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
So this is for sure pegged to arrive at the end of 4th quarter. So December launch. It will be interesting to see some leaked shots and benchmarks couple months from now to confirm their existence. This series, if the numbers are true, will definitely make Nvidia change their minds and bring Maxwell sooner, 2nd quarter next year.

Feeling super excited about this, I must come back and say "AMD, you have an opportunity to change the current direction and landscape of the discrete GPU world with the 9000 series release, DON"T SCREW IT UP LIKE BULLDOZER!"

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
So this is for sure pegged to arrive at the end of 4th quarter. So December launch. It will be interesting to see some leaked shots and benchmarks couple months from now to confirm their existence. This series, if the numbers are true, will definitely make Nvidia change their minds and bring Maxwell sooner, 2nd quarter next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.