Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need a Graphics card upgrade.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 9, 2013 11:34:43 AM

I have this mobo.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TDUSB3/#specifica...

And I'm thinking about buying this video card: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Is my motherboard compatible with this graphics card? If not pls link some good 2GB cards which are compatible with my mobo =)).

More about : graphics card upgrade

May 10, 2013 10:01:30 AM

byogamingpc said:
It will work fine with your board. I'd go with this one. http://amzn.to/1312mNu

Are you 100% sure about this because i cannot afford to purchase it and not use it =(?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 10:53:16 AM

Yes, it will work with your board, just make sure to use the top PCIe slot. But we also need to know your power supply brand and model.
May 10, 2013 12:53:48 PM

ihog said:
Yes, it will work with your board, just make sure to use the top PCIe slot. But we also need to know your power supply brand and model.

I'm not really sure how i can find out what my power supply and model is. If you tell me how i can check I'll try and find out about it.
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 12:58:06 PM

...look at the power supply?
May 10, 2013 1:13:48 PM

ihog said:
...look at the power supply?

To tell you the truth i have no idea where i can find my power supply I even asked my mum about it and she graduated from school of electronics and didn't know the answer. Could u tell me what exactly am I looking for?
Edit: I googled power supply and i read that i need to open my PC. Is that true?

a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 1:33:03 PM

Depends on your case. Mind taking a picture of your case, or telling us what it is?
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 4:05:19 PM

Usually, the power supply make and model are showing through the back of the case, so try that first.
May 10, 2013 4:10:40 PM

ihog said:
Usually, the power supply make and model are showing through the back of the case, so try that first.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 4:18:29 PM

Okay, so at the top there, is the power supply, where the power cable is coming out of. From here, you cannot tell what it is. You'll need to open up the case.

Who built your computer?
May 10, 2013 4:28:25 PM

ihog said:
Okay, so at the top there, is the power supply, where the power cable is coming out of. From here, you cannot tell what it is. You'll need to open up the case.

Who built your computer?

My mother's friend had a friend who owns a computer shop and i picked the parts he just chose the case and sound card. Why is it something wrong with it? Just curious haha =).
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 4:32:41 PM

Just wondering if it was a pre-built one or not.
May 10, 2013 4:36:33 PM

ihog said:
Just wondering if it was a pre-built one or not.

Well ok man tomorrow i will open it and see what i can find. If by any chance i don't find anything I'll take a picture of the inside and post it here so you can see. Just keep tabs on the thread for tomorrow's update =).
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 10, 2013 4:39:31 PM

It'll be on the power supply. You might have to take it out. Make sure you unplug the power supply.

And sounds good.
May 11, 2013 6:12:13 AM

ihog said:
It'll be on the power supply. You might have to take it out. Make sure you unplug the power supply.

And sounds good.

Is this the power supply?

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 8:54:03 AM

Crystal Assasin said:
ihog said:
It'll be on the power supply. You might have to take it out. Make sure you unplug the power supply.

And sounds good.

Is this the power supply?




Yes, it is a Fortron FSP500-60APN, 500W power supply. It claims 80 Plus Certified.

It has a single 6+2 pin pcie cable, 2 x 18a rails.


The 660 needs at least 24a, 450w.

It comes down to how trustworthy Fortron is with their labeling.

The best thing to do would be to upgrade the power supply as well IMO, never heard of fortron...



May 11, 2013 10:47:47 AM

Could you recommend some power supplies that can effectively keep up with the 660? I'm a total idiot when it comes down to these stuff so i don't have the slightest idea of what im looking for =(.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 1:21:24 PM

Crystal Assasin said:
Could you recommend some power supplies that can effectively keep up with the 660? I'm a total idiot when it comes down to these stuff so i don't have the slightest idea of what im looking for =(.



After I posted I went and tried to look up the power supply, it is 80 plus bronze certified.

It seems that Fortron is regarded to be a decent manufacturer.

So it should be fine with a 660 non ti. =)



May 11, 2013 1:48:20 PM

maxalge said:
Crystal Assasin said:
Could you recommend some power supplies that can effectively keep up with the 660? I'm a total idiot when it comes down to these stuff so i don't have the slightest idea of what im looking for =(.



After I posted I went and tried to look up the power supply, it is 80 plus bronze certified.

It seems that Fortron is regarded to be a decent manufacturer.

So it should be fine with a 660 non ti. =)




So you are 100% sure that the MSI version of the card will work 100% on my motherboard with my current power supply? Please answer only if you are sure you know the answer because I need to know what im buying i do not want to waste money. Amazon doesn't have a 7day period of return if you don't like the product =(.
a b U Graphics card
a c 98 V Motherboard
May 11, 2013 2:50:44 PM

Everything should work. I can't say for 100%, because there's always something that can go wrong.

The card draws a maximum of 140W, through one cable, and both 12V rails have an amperage of 18. Thus, one of them can give 216W. Since the efficiency is apparently at least 80%, you take 80% of 216W, which is 172.8W. So, theoretically, it should work fine.

The mobo should support it as well.
May 11, 2013 6:45:05 PM

Ok I will purchase it in the coming week and see how it goes. Even if for w/e reason it shuts down my PC due to high voltage i can sell it in my country for like 300-350$ (yes its freakin overpriced here). Thanks a lot for your time and help guys I wish you all the best =).
!