Possible Processor Damage?

RD16

Honorable
May 10, 2013
So me and my friend were building his computer a couple weeks ago and I was putting in the processor. I opened the clear plastic case that it came in and when I was opening it, the side that had the processor in it kind of flung towards the other end and the chip came out and the pins (sensitive side) rubbed against the plastic. it was not a whole lot of force, but it just kind of rubbed against that hard kind of plastic. Also it is an intel chip. Later when he installed it and did not put the hook thing in yet, I noticed it was not In right and we re-positioned it so it was right. So, will there be any potential damage to the processor because it touched and rubbed against the plastic a little bit, or if we put it in wrong the first time? Or am I being too over reactive? I just didn't want that little incident to mess everything up for him. Any help would be appreciated if someone with some good knowledge on processors could help me! Thanks!

Jacky791

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
The only way to find out the answer is to turn the system on to see if it POSTs or works. If the processor is damaged I don't think the computer will even run properly. However, you could check the bottom of the processor to make sure that no pins were bent/broken off.

Xavier Tan Sync

Honorable
May 8, 2013
Well try start the computer and runs for an hour. Try to see if theres anything happen , because jacky was right. If the processor is damaged the computer will not even run properly. ;)

RD16

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Ok thanks for the replies! We already tried to power it on and it turned on fine but he doesn't have a monitor yet so when he gets it we will see! however I don't believe any pins were bent because it did not rub on the plastic with a lot of force but it may be scratched.....

RD16

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Ok, thankfully everything for my friend is running fine he has been using it for a solid week! I have another question regarding thermal paste and an intel stock heat sink fan. I built my own computer with a core i3 3220 and when mounting the stock fan, I realized I wanted it in a different position and took it off almost immediately. I then put it back on right away and then thought about air pockets with the paste since I took it off and put it back on. Should I be worried or not? I've been really worrying about it!

The pins that you want to worry about and not touch at all are the ones in the socket on the motherboard. The CPU itself does not have pins like the old style that were actual pins , the new CPUs have more like round discs that the pins in the MB socket will touch when the CPU is placed in the socket.
I had a CPU that had some black marks on those round discs and I just took a cloth and cleaned it off.

It used to be years ago that the motherboards had sockets that the pins of the CPU went into and you could touch the motherboard socket but not the CPU pins. That is now reversed and it's the motherboard that you can't touch and the CPU while still a sensitive piece of hardware is not as fragile.