RAID 0 HDD Replacement

robmif76

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hi,

I'm currently running Win 7 with a RAID 0 config and one of the 2 HDDs (400Gb each) is failing. I've got all system and data backups on NAS and got a 1Tb drive replacement ready to pop in.

My question is surely a simple one...what do I do after I plugin the new hard disk?? i.e. is there some initialisation process with which windows back up can recognise the new HDD and setup iotself on it?

I'm not worried about setting up another RAID config as I'm giving away my rig to my dad soon so I want things to be simple on it. I'll also do away with the one remaining working 400Gb drive.

Many thanks

Rob

You will have to create another RAID-0 array before you can restore your backup.

Also FYI, a RAID-0 array's capacity is based upon the drive in the array with the smallest capacity. So when you RAID-0 a 400GB drive and a 1TB drive, your array's capacity (before formatting) will be 800GB (400 x 2).

robmif76

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Thanks Dereck. At this point I'm not fussed about having a RAID 0 anymore. I'll just have the 1 Tb drive sitting on its own.

Plug in the new hard drive, install a new Windows setup on it, restore from your backup. If you made a backup that is a full disk one, whichever software you used will have instructions on how to get the new drive working.

robmif76

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Thanks