I bought Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 with FX-8350 but realize I have no idea what I'm doing

snix

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I have a old gaming desktop system that I want to update. I ordered on newegg a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 motherboard, a fx-8350 cpu, and G.Skill 16gb (2x8gb) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900). Luckily I found this site before I ordered it and I'm pretty sure all that stuff works together, if not someone please correct me.
I found a local shop to install it all for $24.99 however the more I read this site the more I realize I might need to buy more stuff that I never would of thought about.

I found the receipt for my old gaming computer (bought in 2006) and need to know if I need to update this stuff?

The power supply is a silverstone 600 Watt modular ps, will this suffice?
Will a Sanyo-Denke H20 CPU cooler work for the fx-8350?
The receipt says 80MM silent case fan? (it looks like there is 2 fans in the case though, 1 on top of the other.)
Remember all this stuff was new in April of 2006, not sure if that has any bearing.

I think everything else will be fine (ie. video card, sound card, HDD).
Thank you in advance!

snix

Honorable
May 10, 2013

I actually won't be using it for gaming now, it was originally built for gaming so I referred to it as that. Its just a 1gb GPU that runs my dell 30 inch fine.
I will be using the system for virtualization and for remote desktop mostly, if that has any bearing.

Wolfshadw

Titan
There have been a lot of changes in PC components since you purchased your old system back in 2006.

A) Hard and Optical disk drives have moved from the old IDE interface to SATA interfaces. Your new motherboard does not have any IDE interfaces, so any IDE components will need to be replaced.

B) Graphic cards have moved from old PCI and AGP standards to new PCI-E standards. While an extremely old PCI graphics card may still work, any AGP graphics card will need to be replaced with a newer PCI-E graphics card.

C) CPU sockets have changed quite a bit since 2006. Since I'm unable to find any information concerning your CPU cooling unit, I'd expect it would need to be replaced as well.

D) If your power supply is as old as your current system, it might still be functional, but I'd probably go ahead and replace it; keeping it as an emergency spare. If your system requires a new graphics card, I'd definitely replace it.

E) 80mm case fans are fine if your new case has room for them. If you're reusing your old case, then you only need to determine if the fans are currently powered by plugging them into the motherboard (if so, you will need matching power ports on your new motherboard or power adapters) or by connecting them directly to the power supply.

F) If you intend to reuse your old case, you should also probably look at how the from power/reset/HDD Activity light are connected to your current motherboard and see how easy or difficult it will be to connect them to the new motherboard.

-Wolf sends

snix

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Thank you wolf, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have tried to research all fields on my own but can't find a few things.

I'm starting to realize I should of spent less money on the stuff I already bought and used it for other things. Anyway, it all comes today but if someone can take a look at this stuff and see if it will all work together I would greatly appreciate it!

Wolfshadw

Titan
SATA devices are fully backwards compatible. Your 1.5Gb/s (SATA I) drive will work in a 6.0Gb/s (SATA III) port, just not at SATA III speeds.

The NVidia Geforce GTX 260 is a PCI-E standard graphics card. No compatibility issues here.

I still wasn't able to find any verification of compatibility, but given the new board is an AMD based socket and your current cooler only states compatible with Intel socket 775, I would expect it's not compatible with your new system board. The stock cooler of the new processor should hold you over until you get a new CPU heatsink/fan.

Power supplies, like all other components age. As they age, they lose their effectiveness. Granted some PSUs age faster than others. If it's as old as the rest of your system, I'd probably replace it as soon as you could afford it.

You'll need to check your motherboard for similar power connectors. Normally, they're labelled, "SYS_FAN". Of course, they will also need to match the number of pin outs.

-Wolf sends

snix

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Wolf thank you again,

FYI - I currently have an AMD athlon 64 fx-60 running with that CPU fan so maybe it will work?!?

Suggestions on a new power supply that will adequately fit the system? (keep in mind I might upgrade the video card and hard drive at some point.)

Suggestions on a CPU fan for the FX-8350 if this one doesn't work?

Thank you

Wolfshadw

Titan
Again, the stock CPU fan should be fine unless you're wanting to overclock. If that's the case, then the one Tiny Voices recommends would be a good choice, assuming it actually fits within your case.

I can't argue with any of the power supply selections from Tiny Voices either.

-Wolf sends