[SOLVED!] Compaq Evo D510 Fan noise unbearably loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolwut767

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Oh, hello! I didn't see you there!

Yesterday, I received my D510 in the mail, and it works great. However, there's a problem with it.

I'm using Speedfan (latest).

I turn the system on, and it's quiet. Perfect.
OS loads, speeds up a little.
Copying something from a memory stick, CPU rushes to 100% and the fan speed goes from ~1200RPM to an unbearably loud ~6400RPM!

It appears to be controlled by the load of the CPU, it was at 20% once and the fan speed rose to about 2400RPM, enough that it was noticeable.

It's so annoying, since I waited so long for this system! I even had to leave the room with my laptop (a brilliant one at that, I love using it) and go downstairs to play games. At the bottom of my stairs, WITH THE DOOR SHUT, I could still hear it!
Watching some Mythbusters on my tablet at 1/2 volume, 2 feet in front of my face, was unwatchable; you couldn't even hear it!

There are 3 Pwm options, none of which seem to do anything with the fans. One was at 100, so I turned it down to 50, copied something from my thumb drive. Same speed, same problem.

If ANYONE can help, that would be fantastic.

The processor is an Intel Pentium 4, 1.8GHz with a 400MHz FSB.
It has 512mb RAM, and a 20GB hard disk.
It runs Windows 98SE with ony one driver missing; the ethernet.

braber95

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Check your BIOS settings, some guys from HP found that there are fan speed control setting in there. They reset their BIOS to default, might be a little annoying, but could be a solution.

braber95

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Be sure to check your cpu and heatsink as well. Clean out both and reapply some quality thermal paste in order to insure that your CPU is getting too hot.

lolwut767

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

I checked my BIOS (when the system worked, for some reason, it has died) and it was so simple. But it was too simple, there was no setting for fan speeds from what I could remember.

I put some arctic silver mx-4 onto it, and since then, the system refuses to POST.
However, using the guide on this site, I think I have fried the CPU...

Thanks for the help :)

lolwut767

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Alright, crisis averted. Turns out I did fry the CPU. Bought a new one, works fine now, without noise.

This thread can be locked if you want admins/mods. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.