Haswell or Ivy Bridge?

David Fiks

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I know there are other forum posts about this topic but I thought there might be some updated information and stuff.

I cant decide weather or not I should wait for Haswell or just get the 3770k Ivy bridge. Im thinking to go for the Ivy Bridge because Haswell will just lower down the price and the only difference is the intergrated GPU which wont matter to me as im getting either a 7970 GHz or a 770. So really what im asking is, should I get the Haswell CPU or save some cash and get the Ivy Bridge and still get the same performance?

Also heating issues wont be an issue for me as I will be purchasing a Corsair H100i and will be overclocking to about 4.2 Ghz - 4.5 Ghz

Any info on weather you think I should go for Haswell or stay with Ivy Bridge will be helpful!

Thanks!

ihog

Distinguished
Intel will probably not drop the prices of Ivy Bridge. Historically, Intel just keeps the prices and stops making older models.

Personally, I'd wait for Haswell, but it probably won't make much of a difference. Haswell will be at least a 5% increase in overall performance of Ivy Bridge.

My advice: if you have a LGA1155 mobo already, get the 3770K. If you don't, wait for Haswell.

But in the end, it's personal preference, man. We really can't decide for you.

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Depends heavily on the uses.

Haswell's improved performance generally is not much. 5-10%. This is due to the extra registers and wider data busses, along with an extra ALU function. So for gaming, the difference is minimal. For most uses actually, the difference is minimal.

However, if you have a program that utilizes transactional memory and AVX instructions heavily, the difference is VERY well worth it, as the new big changes in Haswell are wider supports for these two technologies. So, what are your uses? That'll judge what you need.