Failed bios flash

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
hello everyone

Im in some big trouble here, i tried to flash my gigabyte hd 7950 windforce 3 boosted (bios GV-R795WF3-3GD.FX1) to a rom bios so i could unlock the voltage in msi afterburner since it was locked, even after applying unofficialoverclock. Result: it failed! Im now on my other bios, since i have dual bios but how do i reset the old bios? when i turn on my pc with my damaged bios, i just get a black screen, not even the motherboard bios loading screen.

thank you very much

Im going to bed now, it's late and im tired, i hope to see some answers by tomorrow!

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Im sorry ill try to find an answer and not just troll, but someones gotta say it...why the hell did you try a bios flash if you dont know how to reverse it! After a quick google search I found THIS. Sorry if that was harsh but flashing a bios is something you never just go into willy nilly just because you have a backup bios.

If you cannot post with the card, you'll have to install a working card in the primary PCIe slot, and put the bricked one in another. Then attempt to flash the card back, but be sure you flash the 2nd card, which may take slightly different commands, depending on how you flashed it.

If it won't let you log into windows with it, you may have to create a boot drive and flash it from DOS.

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
I know, Davschall, but I did not know that the bios (not made by Gigabyte, but still for the 7950) would not work on this card, i flashed before with other cards without problems, thank you very much for your help though!

demisor

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you alot, davschall it worked! Bystander also thank you for your input! For the people that have problems and have dual bios;

1) boot your system with the non-corrupt bios on ur gpu
2) back up your current bios
3) switch the lever on your gpu to the corrupt bios while still in windows
4) run an elevated commandprompt and navigate it to your atiwinflashtool
For example if your main drive is C:\ and its located on your desktop in a folder called herpderp; enter this in ur cmd "cd c:\users\(yourname)\desktop\herpderp" without quotes
5) make sure your bios switch is now turned to the corrupt bios switch (i say it again because now we're going to make the move so it's important not to fail on this)
6) enter "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" in the cmd; dont use quotes
7) once complete; enter "atiwinflash -f -p 0 (yourbiosfile.extension)"
Dont use quotes; don't use brackets; i wrote it like this because i dont know how ur bios file is called but let me give an example, if your file is called GV-R795WF3-3GD.FX1, then enter atiwinflash -f -p 0 GV-R795WF3-3GD.FX1
8) Let it finish and you're done!

Note: the 0 in the command means your FIRST PCIE slot; if you type 1 it is your SECOND PCIE slot that GETS FLASHED

Taken from ][ , ]http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33993770[ , ]Rage3d[
Thank you caveman-jim!

davschall

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
No problem im really glad it worked! Like I said sorry to be harsh, lol at least you're not the guy who flashed a 7950 bios onto his 670.